Author Topic: Useful iPad apps  (Read 31229 times)

pyromnt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM- You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
  • Experience: High School
Re: iPads
« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:02 pm »
I use my iPad as ASM, I use "scan to PDF " app to get the script on my iPad and then I transfer my PDF script to "iannotate," which lets me annotate it with blocking, sound/light cues, etc...  Works well  ;D
Standby. And 3..2..1

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2011, 11:09 am »
Absolutely agree with the advantages of this tool but BLUE MAN GROUP is non-union and answers to a different drummer...

....eesh.

Please let's remember that though most of the posters on this forum are American and many (but not most) operate under an AEA contract, that the rest of the world operates outside the really really strict rules of AEA.

Kristine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Theta Alpha Phi
  • Current Gig: Spirits to Enforce, UW-Whitewater
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2011, 01:27 am »
Best weekend ever. I got an iPad for Christmas AND I learned about this app coming out in March! Stage Write. A blocking program made for iPads! I made a thread just for it too.

Post Merge: Dec 27, 2011, 01:46 am
Also, has anyone tried out Bento? How does it work for organizing everything?
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2011, 01:46 am by Kristine »

Amandanellb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Much Ado About Nothing and The Liar - PSM - Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park
« Reply #33 on: Apr 04, 2012, 04:51 pm »
Not the best for actually writing everyone's blocking in, but I LOVE the Rehearsal 2 app! I type my blocking in the script after rehearsals, so I convert it into a PDF as soon as we are finished blocking and upload it. Its great for notes you can even add sound clips and pictures, I also run the show from it... Love this App!

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Useful iPad apps
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:25 pm »
Note: this thread topic was modified from the original "iPads" started by Delbert to "Useful iPad apps" to mirror our iPhone and Android app threads.  No content has been changed within the thread.

Picked up an iPad a little while back and wanted to throw a few thoughts into the mix here.
  • Dropbox - I think we're all pretty familiar with this one.  Needless to say this is a great app.
  • Google Drive - Access your google docs on the go.
  • Notability - I love this note-taking app and use it exclusively now instead of a pen/paper when in meetings or in the field.  Add a $10 stylus and you can write directly onto the "paper".  Syncs to dropbox, google drive, box, and webdav.

The last post on this thread is from April of 2012.  Tons of people have purchased iPads since then.  Let's revive this thread and hear about your favorite and most productive (or fun!) apps.

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2013, 03:53 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:14 pm »
I've been trying to use my iPad more for work purposes. I've been using Evernote for note taking at meetings. So far I like it- it lets you organize documents into folders (so I can group notes by show), and saves to the cloud, like Dropbox.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:18 pm »
The apps I use most often:
Dropbox
Drive
GoodReader
Calengoo

and Ham on the Run, for fun. )
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:58 pm »
I've had mine for a while now, haven't used it on the job yet but I can think of a lot of good apps.

Evernote/Notes - for jotting down ideas.
Dropbox/Google Drive - For accessing files
Calculator/Clock/Calendar/Camera - for obvious reasons
Email/Skype - For communicating

Other things I find useful but slightly less SM specific:
Accuweather - For outdoor shows, I prefer it to weather channel, because weather channel apps have historically been bad so I avoid them.
Linkedin/Facebook - For Networking
GasBuddy - When traveling to another city this helps you find the best gas prices around.
Expensify - If you need to track expenses (TAX season!) You can upload receipts so you don't have to cart them around and they can't fade.
Dragon- For dictating notes if you don't feel like typing.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

amandaackovitz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:25 pm »
Notability and Google Drive have by far been the most useful to me for a paperless process.

mnsalz91

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Gianni Schicchi @ Ithaca College
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:34 pm »
the new Gmail app.  It isn't perfect.  I doesn't let you send out group emails the way the full gmail.com does but I have really enjoyed using it for just my show email.  That way I can keep my show email and my personal email separate.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #40 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:44 pm »
Changing track here for a quick question about iAnnotate...

So, I've got everything working, all good. My only issue is making the notes I add stand out enough. I can't highlight notes I make, or parts of the score (each page is scanned in as one image) - what I'm looking for is a way to add a background to any notes I add in.

Any thoughts?

C

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:53 pm »

So, I've got everything working, all good. My only issue is making the notes I add stand out enough. I can't highlight notes I make, or parts of the score (each page is scanned in as one image) - what I'm looking for is a way to add a background to any notes I add in.

Any thoughts?

C

I'm not sure if iAnnotate has this function, however with Notability you can highlight, mark up, and otherwise write over a PDF document as if you had a marker on a page.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:18 am »
A couple of weeks ago I began using a stylus for note taking as opposed to my fingers - what a game changer that's been.  I've been using the Kensington Virtuoso Stylus+Pen and highly recommend it.

BlantonRK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Glimmerglass Opera
« Reply #43 on: Apr 07, 2013, 01:25 am »

Any thoughts?

C

I'm not sure if iAnnotate has this function, however with Notability you can highlight, mark up, and otherwise write over a PDF document as if you had a marker on a page.

Another option is forScore. I saw a pianist play an entire recital using music in the forScore app and had to have it! I have our company's next 8 operas on it right now. Easy to mark up, highlight, write or type onto a pdf score. Lots of other bells and whistles I have yet to use. Also has great integration with Drop Box. 5 stars and 2 thumbs up! Check it out.

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: SETC
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager: Brecksville Theatre
« Reply #44 on: Apr 08, 2013, 06:51 pm »
I am just in transition with using the Ipad in shows! I recently called an entire dance show from the Ipad. The dance show had no script, so it was actually easier to use a word doc program (I used Textilus) to organize in columns, the cues, times, and what the cues did. I loved it! I was trained as a paper stage manager, but the Ipad is useful. I really enjoy having AutoCad WS on there as well. It keeps the director in the loop with the ground plans as they happen. I play with it everyday trying to find new stuff! I am looking forward to more insight from you guys!

Mandi

riotous