Author Topic: Useful iPad apps  (Read 31142 times)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: iPads
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2011, 01:21 pm »
I have an iPad, but rarely use it for SM work. I really prefer to use a laptop for creating forms- the iPad is great for checking email and taking notes, but beyond that I haven't used it much for work purposes. Though, looking at some of the apps mentioned, I may have to try some out for my next show... Thanks for the suggestions, all.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2011, 04:56 pm »
This is only tangentially related but I thought it was such a smart and quick fix for a short term situation.

A friend of mine was doing an event in a small non-theater space and needed to call the show from the "wings" but there was no monitor system, so they set up a wireless wifi enabled webcam and streamed it to their ipad next to the SM at the calling station. From when I watched part of it there seemed to be no discernible lag between action and the monitor feed. I was pretty impressed.

Has anyone tried a tablet that is not the iPad? I'm not exceptionally keen on the Apple products but love love love my droid. (To each their own) I'd love to hear if anyone else has recommendations for a different brand, especially an Android OS

I've played with both the Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab. They are both pretty decent pieces of hardware and both run Android. If they OS is what is driving your potential purchase those are the top rated alternatives to an iPad. If it honestly weren't for the fact that I'm getting sick of my droid x (and its operating system) I would have considered a droid based tablet before I purchased my iPad.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2011, 06:01 pm »
BEST IPAD USE FOR STAGE MANAGEMENT THUS FAR

On the LORT contract, and some others . . . and I am sure with a quick letter to AEA referencing LORT, you can do this . . .

You are allowed to video tape a show for Stage Management's needs.

(E) Recording to Facilitate Production Work and Transfers to Not-for-Profit Theatres.
(1) Capture: (a) For the purpose of production work and the facilitation of transfers to other notfor-profit Theatres only, there shall be no time limit on the capture of a rehearsal or a performance.
(b) It is intended that in permitting such capture, it shall be unobtrusive and neither the Actor nor the audience shall be disturbed in any manner.
(c) All Actors involved must be given notice at least 24 hours prior to the performance or rehearsal that is to be captured.
(d) A Stage Manager must be present at the captured performance and rehearsal.
(2) Use: (a) The Recording may be used by the director, choreographer, playwright, orchestrator, dance arranger, designers, Stage Manager, Dance Captain, Fight Captain, Stunt Coordinator, and/or the not-for-profit transferee Theatre’s production staff.
(b) After the stated purpose has been accomplished, the Recording must be
destroyed.

So, today, I had the video of the performance during understudy rehearsal.

The cast and I watched the scene, we worked it once for blocking - looking up and fixing things, and then ran it again.  I was able to work 3 Acts of Shakespeare in a 5 hour rehearsal block.  Seriously. 

This is going to change how I work with video in rehearsal in the future.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:20 pm »
This appears to be an expansion to the Media Rules within the LORT Contract.
CAUTION: I don't believe that every theatre working with an LOA to the LORT contract can use these rules.
Matthew, please confirm you are quoting a new Media package that is for LORT only and not for LOA's to the contract.

But heck yes! what a tool!!!
Ordo ab chao

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2011, 01:52 am »
It's in the new LORT rules, and part of the new Media rules.  I would assume every LOA would be different, right VSM, RIGHT?

I am working under a LORT, but I would push for it under any contract I work with now . . . just saying if this doesn't exist in other contracts for the use of the stage manager - I would see how it to get a ruling on it.  (I mean, before the new media ruling, I was able to use the B-Roll for a variety of purposes - especially on very difficultshows - - - what they really want to avoid is my pulling out the video of Actor A's performance and noting Actor A . . .).

I think it is silly to have such a wonderful, easy, painless technology and NOT be able to use it.   I will continue to push for the use of the technology on all contracts.

I mean seriously, there should be on ANY contract the ability for an inhouse video be made for use inhouse - for stage manager's to clean up their blocking script; to safely and adequately train SM subs; for understudies IN a show, to watch a show to see scenes they may never be able to see; to train crew members on complicated scene transitions for safety and artistic reasons.  Please put a big disclaimer at the top.  Put it in BLACK AND WHITE, or some other nonsense the Hollywood trailers do, but the ease at which now we can video tape and play back, it's pointless not.

AND LISTEN.

I understand we are all afraid of this getting out into the world.  Yes, but, seriously, if the stage manager has control of it -and destroys it - I feel better then then B-Roll DVD that I know has been passed around marketing for people that have no idea what AEA rules they are supporting.  I mean, no that video cameras are so small and on every phone, I bet on any given night in any Broadway house there is one video tape being made - it doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to use them for powerful tool they are.

On my next non-LORT show, which I think is Off-Broadway, I may sit down with the Off-Broadway rep, reference the LORT contract and see - I understand that it's all tied to the New Media payments and so forth, but there needs to a push made by tech savy stage managers AWAY from the producers pushing for use of this - trying not to make this a money thing.  (I know, the union's argument is schedule more rehearsal, pay more overtime, hire more stage managers or understudies . . . but the reality is THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN - so here is a bloody amazing tool sitting RIGHT HERE, to make out job easier as union members to make the job easy for other union members.  This seems to be a non brainer.)

It's sort of like saying you have to type your daily call, and everyone knows you can use a PC, but the union is going to make you a type writer.

-----
VSM - I know I am simplifying a very large and complicated union issue . . . but for the sake of my argument and for the sake and wanting to push this technology forward, I am trying to take a simple look at it.
-----

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2011, 02:09 pm »
Based on the meeting with our business rep for the TYA contract a week and a half ago it does seem as if Equity is adjusting their stance on taping/filming to acknowledge that the culture has changed drastically in regards to that.  The new TYA contract just went into effect the week we started rehearsals and has some huge changes in regards to the "new media" section, including how much can be filmed and released for public viewing on websites and various media outlets.  I'd have to double check with my rep, but it does seem as if a video to be used by stage management for all the purposes Matthew described is also allowed now.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2011, 08:25 pm »
I absolutely, completely, 100% agree that "live capture" is an essential tool and should be more readily available. For all the reasons stated and any more we can think of. BUT - these new changes happen slowly and contract by contract. DO NOT ever assume if one theatre can do it, another has the right to as well. ALWAYS check with your AEA Rep for the rules pertaining to the show you are working on. We have been successful so far in relaxing the Media Rules in several contracts but THESE REQUIRE ADDITIONAL FEES from the Producer. LOA's to any contract are individually negotiated and no two are the alike. Each theatre has it's own set of concessions, limitations and perks. The wheels of Equity move slowly but we are really gaining momentum on this issue. NEVER GIVE UP. Keep talking to your Business Reps and let them know how important live capture is to you. We can make a difference. I have been doing just that for almost 30 years. Ouch...
Ordo ab chao

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2011, 01:18 pm »
Really interested in seeing this new tool develop! There is a lot of potential for production use, and it's great to see the regulations evolving with the development/widespread use of these technologies. Especially excited as the contract I am working on next  is using the LORT media rules.

I used to work with a (non-union) dance company that had dozens of productions in their repertory- when they had an upcoming gig of "Show X", they would bring a TV into the rehearsal room and watch a DVD of the old production, to "get it back", then rehearse with that DVD available to reference, in the rehearsal room, at any point. If they had done "Show X" in multiple venues, they would have DVDs of each performance in each venue, and were able to track modifications they had made as the piece evolved. It made it much easier to "put in" replacement dancers as well.

Another advantage was that the dancers themselves were often the directors and creators of each piece, so having a video camera in the room made it easier to watch things with an "outside eye". They would also send me a DVD and calling script from the last production (or the most similar version to the one we were producing), so that I could learn the show, and have an idea of what the cueing would be like.

Now if only I had the newer version of the iPad with the camera....

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2011, 02:24 pm »
I used to work with a (non-union) dance company that had dozens of   productions in their repertory- when they had an upcoming gig of "Show   X", they would bring a TV into the rehearsal room and watch a DVD of the   old production,

Actually, Maribeth, even union (AGMA) dance companies do this. We record every performance and store it in our Archives. Then when we do the show again, I pull the most recent video, plus past ones, the ballet master picks the best, then I make duplicate DVDs for everyone staging the ballet. When the performance is over, I take back my DVDs and destroy them, leaving the originals in the Archives.

...and it's written into the AGMA contract that dancers are allowed to view the Archives whenever they want. Also, upon leaving the company, they are entitled to a "highlight reel" of their work from the Archives.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 02:37 pm by BayAreaSM »

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2011, 03:01 pm »
Very cool, BayAreaSM!

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2011, 12:48 pm »
It's not just dance companies that allow filming for in-house use.  Blue Man Group uses video/archival footage for training and review process, so does Cirque (and similar companies).

It's a really valuable tool and the iPad is an awesome all-in-one way to make it happen.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:01 am »
Absolutely agree with the advantages of this tool but BLUE MAN GROUP is non-union and answers to a different drummer...
Ordo ab chao

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 15, 2011, 05:28 am »
as is Cirque for most of their shows . . .

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2011, 03:11 pm »
Its probably too late, but I figured I'd dump an ipad app recommendation in this thread instead of making a new one.

I'd recommend Room Planner. Its usually $9 but its free right now. You can create any size room and any size objects and drag them around until they fit. Might also be good for that truck pack conversation we were having in another thread

Amandanellb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Much Ado About Nothing and The Liar - PSM - Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2011, 10:23 am »
I am going to chime in late too!

The last show I did, I ran the entire show using Rehearsal 2. It cost $19.99, but it is worth it. You can write and highlight in multiple colors. You can record sounds, add pictures and add notes. I did physically take down my initial blocking, because it is just faster and easier, but I always type it into the script anyway because I like the clean look. I really love this App.