Author Topic: iPad: What do you think?  (Read 11277 times)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
iPad: What do you think?
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:45 pm »
Thought I'd start the ball rolling to see what stage managers might think about the new iPad that Apple is putting out...

personally I was way excited about it until I realized it is more of a huge iPhone and wouldn't replace my laptop in that there is no camera built in, and no cd/dvd drive. If apple creates a docking station with the keyboard that includes a cd/dvd drive I will probably be first in line to get one ;)

I love how light it is, that it would allow me to take it EVERYWHERE. also there's the interesting possibility that you might be able to run Word/Excel/Final Cut/etc on it and edit/and use it for electronic scripts and paperwork on the fly.

Just wanted to hear what other people thought-pros, cons, wishes, etc.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: iPad: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:07 pm »
I've been excited about this announcement for awhile now. I would personally love to have one, but the problem is it would serve no ultimate purpose. It is like portable internet with a sufficient sized screen when you break it down. The purposes I would want it for (internet, ereader, note system) can easily be covered by other devices at much cheaper prices. I already have a 13" macbook so if I invest in a $260 B&N Nook then I have all the capabilities. If I ever went on tour I bet with a little creativity it could become a very useful device.

I don't care for the name though. There were plenty of other better options and when I think iPad, this is what comes to mind:
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:10 pm »
I hope it would run MS Office because otherwise why would you buy it? It doesn't seem feasible to shell out that much money for something that HP already does well for less. Or wait a year before someone else knocks it off for less.
I wonder if it will go the way of the iPhone?...$500 to start then less than a year later drop a few hundred :)

BLee you had me roaring with the picture!

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:20 pm »
They'll likely drop the price point two years or so down the road, but it won't be by much. 

As far as Stage Management goes I don't see many advantages of this.  It'll be a nice toy for the "sit at starbucks and be seen" type but for my money, not terribly practical for Stage Management.

It doesn't have a keyboard which will be a major disadvantage.  I suppose you could carry a keyboard with you, but that would get clunky fast.

Can you imagine typing your script or writing rehearsal reports without an actual keyboard? 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:59 pm »
Love the image!

Looks like a big Iphone.  Seems to operate the same as well.  I think the statement of the iPad as the greatest web-browsing experience is a little much.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 12:23 am »
I am note exactly sure who is this geared for - limted output/input control - Apple Store has complete control over software, awkward keyboard, can't multi-task . . . I am gong to wait to see whats happens in the second generation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:55 am »
I see its absolute biggest fault being that it cannot currently run multiple applications simultaneously.

My collegues and I spent about 2 hours today chatting about it and what it could mean for AV - for example, its size and basic feature set would be almost perfect for a remote running something similar to Studio Manager for our digital desks, as well as for accessing out Rental system on the floor, interfacing with our AMX and house lighting systems etc - but the fact that there is no stylus, no haptic feedback, no multitasking, the inability to truely develop private applications etc all makes it unsuitable. The entry level price point is great, but I do worry that the "10 hr battery life" might be like the 10hrs on the iPhone - that is 10 hrs if you don't use it.

I am very dissapointed that this device seems to have come about by someone just changing the scale on their cad program and going "There we go, 10" iPod Touch... lets find a noun and put an i behind it."

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:15 am »
and I assume everyone has seen the MadTV skit on the unfortunate name....wonder how long it will be until they change it

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:06 pm »
The SDK for the iPad is already available; and the App store has proven to be a fantastic distribution point for anyone who wants to put the time in programming.

I can see iPad being very useful for other industries - law reference, medical records, retail stores.  For consumers, it's great to have a comfortable viewing surface for websites.  My favorite thing about the iPhone was having the internet in my pocket, and not some slimmed-down mobile version.  I also love the integration between calendar, contacts, email, and maps, and all of those things are carried over to the iPad.  And it does have bluetooth, correct?  So shouldn't you be able to hook up a bluetooth keyboard to it?

For our industry, I think apps could be written that could be very useful.  Imagine a line notes program that took a Final Draft script and highlighted lines as you moved your finger down the text;  finger gestures to mark the line that was misspoken or called for; contextual keyboard that would allow you to type in what was said instead of the line; linked to your address book so that the line notes could be automatically sorted and filtered to each actor's e-mail address as soon as the run was over.  Historical tracking to draw attention to the five lines that keep getting notes over and over and over.  Wouldn't that be a useful program?

I agree with Mac, the inability to multi-task is a huge problem.  I'm not going to get this first-generation product.  A webcam/skype/iChat solution would be the tipping point for me picking one up, in the future.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

ABennett

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2010, 11:22 am »
I got my hands on one for the first time yesterday at my local apple store. I was pretty much immediately convinced that an iPad could seriously help any stage manager.

pros:

size: small enough to carry pretty much anywhere, perfect size for checklists, taking notes, checking email on the go

applications: email, pages, notes, you name it. All perfect for writing down a quick note when you're away from the tech table. It's really easy to type on this thing, especially for those with iphone/ ipod touch experience

All of your information in one place. It's about as close to having hand written notes and typed information all together as you can get. I can't see a need for a pad of paper if you have one of these

this things just feels awesome. There's no way to describe the feel unless you've held it in your hands, but anyone who has knows what I mean

cons:

no multitasking. this means you can't type up a rehearsal report while streaming Pandora, and that to check email you have to quit your currently running application.

Price: the cheaper one (relatively speaking) doesn't do as much as I would like. The higher memory and 3G capable one is really expensive. Luckily, if you are willing to sacrifice a little memory or 3G it's probably a reasonable purchase considering how close it is to a laptop

As soon as I won't hate myself for spending all my money on this thing, I'm getting one. Part of that is just my obsession with new Apple products, but I feel that besides the price, the iPad is an amazing tool (and toy)

Pip T

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2010, 01:00 pm »
I have to say I was quite disappointed by what the iPad was revealed to be. Had it been effectively a tablet MacBook, I'd have been first in the queue. Unfortunately, as a jumped up iPhone, I'm not that interested....I already have an iPhone, and I can't see that the iPad will do anything more useful, at least initially.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2010, 12:15 pm »
I saw a review on TV yesterday and they made one good point: it's not good for creating things, just good at looking at things that were created.

I'll wait for a few generations to come out before I consider getting one.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:06 am »
A couple of techie-geek type friends of mine said the iPad is more of a preparation for where laptops/portable computers are eventually headed.  In evolutionary terms it could someday be viewed as that missing link between what we know now as laptops and what the next generation will call laptops.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:43 am »
I'm waiting for iProp, the brushed metal prop table with a glossy, editable surface and nead little icons for all the props.  Ideally with a trashbin that automatically resorts the table when stuff gets misplaced.

Of course I also want a party and a pony, but these are just as unlikely.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:13 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDalRBjyJo&feature=popt00us12

This was previewed recently: slate device by HP....seems like a great time to release a preview for a device that will probably cost less than an iPad and adds what it is lacking as well (USB, 2 cameras, supports Flash...).  I think the term "missing link" fits this product a little more.

Any thoughts?  Anyone out there with an iPad have any first hand reviews?

riotous