Author Topic: iPad Vs Microsoft Surface Pro  (Read 3012 times)

BrandiShook

iPad Vs Microsoft Surface Pro
« on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:20 pm »
I am thinking of investing in either a Microsoft Surface Pro or an iPad Pro. I am wondering if anyone has used either while stage managing. I have looked at both and I like the use of stage management apps on the iPad Pro, but I think the capabilities of the Microsoft surface pro would be quite useful.

I'm honestly not sure which would be best, so if you have any suggestions let me know!

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: iPad Vs Microsoft Surface Pro
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:29 am »
What is your intended use of the tool?  Will you be using it to supplement a laptop/pc or in place of one?  If so, I'd lean surface pro.  The biggest difference is in the OS.  The Surface Pro runs Windows 10 which enables you to run the full suite of software that you've probably grown accustomed to. 

The iPad Pro runs iOS10, so you will be limited to apps that are available on the app store.  And yes, Excel and Word are available on the app store but they are severely neutered versions that lack the full horsepower of the traditional versions.

I am an avid Apple user (phone, watch, ipad) but it would be hands down Surface Pro for me if I were to use it as my primary device for work.  Apple's devices are very slick but they are, in my opinion, best suited for consuming media and content rather than producing it.  As an SM you need to produce your full suite of documentation each production and it's my opinion the iPad just isn't there yet. 

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BrandiShook

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:57 pm »
I have a computer already. It's actually a mac, so I know the iPad would pair well with it

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:09 am »
In that case, if you still plan to use the laptop in rehearsal I'd probably go iPad pro.  Though at that point I'd question the need for the iPad pro - why not just a regular iPad?  If you plan to use your tablet as the sole device on productions then the iPad will come up short, regardless of model.  But if you are supplementing what you already have and not changing your M.O. then I'd stay in the Apple family.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt