Author Topic: iPad Pro for Blocking?  (Read 8611 times)

amberklew

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
iPad Pro for Blocking?
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:51 pm »
I am interested in investing in an iPad Pro after seeing how great the new apple stylus works for note taking and sketching. Has anyone tried using one to take blocking? If so, are there specific apps you used and liked? Is the technology even ready for something like this yet?

BrandiShook

Re: iPad Pro for Blocking?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2018, 12:38 am »
I used an iPad for a show a few months back and am actually investing in my own!

One app that I think works well is "For Score." It's actually meant for musicians to upload their music and make notes and such, but you can scan full scripts into the app and add cues into the blank script. I recommend getting the pencil, so you can make lines and notes much easier because you can use pressure to make the lines harder and softer. I also like the app because I can create text, so each cue is typed, but I can also write out notes and underline and highlight.

I also upload different reports to it so I can check them off through the iPad and saving them as different dates. Word is also a great resource because you can have them automatically back up to Dropbox or Google Drive. Personally, I use Google Drive, but I have used Dropbox in the past, so I find either one to be good.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:53 pm »
I might have to try ForScore. I haven't thought of it for blocking as of yet!

I use Notability, which lets me upload my scripts to the app itself, and I can use highlighting, multiple colors, types of pencil medium, etc.  I just used it on my most recent production of Show Boat, and it worked incredibly well!

DiploMattOnline

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2020, 09:33 am »
An app that I’ve started using on the iPad is “Nebo”. It transcribes any handwritten notes on the app (using Apple Pencil) into typed. It’s very accurate. I wrote 4 pages of notes and only had 2 or 3 mistakes. It also learns from your handwriting to make it better. There is a sketch function, diagram function, math function and more. Plus, it’s free!

riotous