Author Topic: Introducing VirtualCallboard: Web-Based Stage Management / Production Management  (Read 6807 times)

sammythesm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • EmptySpace Technology
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
  • Experience: Former SM
Hello everyone -

I recently launched a new online service called "VirtualCallboard."  ( newbielink:http://www.virtualcallboard.com/ [nonactive])

I started creating VirtualCallboard when I was stage managing large musicals, and needed some way to keep everyone better updated.  I've been working on this project for about 3 or 4 years now (off and on), and with the persistent urging of some colleagues, I am now making it available to others!

VirtualCallboard has been used in community theatres, regional theatres, and university theatre programs with much success.

My philosophy was not to replace a SM's production book, but to create a VirtualCallboard that would supplement and keep your production book better updated.

With VirtualCallboard you make information available to all your collaborators at any time of the day or night thorough the WWW.  You also use it to make printouts which easily keep your physical callboard up to date.

VirtualCallboard does:
- Scheduling (checks for double scheduling and conflicts)
- Attendance Tracking
- Hours Reporting
- Fittings
- Manages availability (students can block out their class schedules, etc)

- Reporting  (create your own report templates)

- File Sharing

- Email messaging
- Web announcements
- Discussion forum

- Archival

- Manage multiple productions/companies at the same time!

The best part about this whole deal is you don't have to worry about installing or upgrading anything.  The service is hosted for you and you receive automatic upgrades on a weekly/monthly basis.  Upgrades and new features come directly from customer suggestions, so I'm interested in hearing your feedback!

More information is available at newbielink:http://www.virtualcallboard.com/ [nonactive] 

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
That seems quite affordable for a hosted service.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
I just came off a project where this was used.  It's very compact and can be effective.  We found it could have been more effective if we had had internet access in the room.  If that had been the case, we could have expected everyone to use it, and also been able to make updates during the day, instead of when we completed rehearsal.  All in all a really interesting and useful tool, if the design staff and cast get on board...

Just my two cents...
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

HappiTam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, AACT
I logged into your VirtualCallboard live demo...loved it!!  It was very user friendly & it would make (my) life a whole lot simpler when communicating with others.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Will have to check you guys out at USITT.  Have been doing virtual callboards 2004 - a great idea to make it available to others.  Would to have a quick chat at some point, maybe I will swing by and try to find you on the floor Wednesday before expo opens up!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
If anyone's interested in another VirtualCallboard demo, the Stage Managers' Association is having a chat/demo that's open to non-members on Nov. 15th.  Visit the thread about it at http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,5794.0.html.  (I know I'm cross-posting, but wasn't really sure where to put this one.)