Author Topic: New Printer Recommendations, Please!  (Read 2811 times)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
New Printer Recommendations, Please!
« on: Feb 26, 2010, 01:11 pm »
My old printer, purchased in 2001 is about to reach the end of its useful, working life. I'm in need of a new printer to work with two Macs, a desktop running Snow Leopard, and a laptop running Tiger (for the time being anyway--the laptop will also be replaced soon.)

I'm looking for a multi-function (scan/copy/print) unit, that does great black and white documents but has the flexibility for to print photos as well, if necessary.  Ideally, if I can find a model that others are using successfully and happily, I'd like it to have a sheet feeder, and double sided printing capability.

What do you use in your home or office. and what would you recommend to me? Thanks in advance!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: New Printer Recommendations, Please!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2010, 05:52 pm »
I have a Brother MFC-5890CN - It can print up to A3 in size (handy for floorplans etc), and plugs into your network, so all the functions of the scanner are easily shared. It is not that expensive either, and uses cartridges that are standardised across the range.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2010, 06:37 pm »
I love my Brother - work really well w Macs, and they do the job every time - cheap replacement ink (monocrome laser printer since so much of what I do is b/w) and lasts for freakin' ever. Had an Okidata I loved for my PC before it died and I transfered to a Mac platform and was sad to have to give it up but after 5 years this Brother has been amazing.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2010, 03:16 pm »
I need a new printer as well. I'll look into the Brothers.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2010, 05:47 pm »
I've also had good experience with Brother printers, although I haven't used their color models.  I would avoid HP.  My boss loves HP and keeps buying their equipment but they are awful to maintain and their driver software doesn't work terribly well on our MS systems - usually if something works poorly on MS it works even worse in OSX.