Author Topic: Holiday SM Gifts  (Read 25329 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Gifts!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:59 pm »
Very nice bag but I want something not requiring lugging. One of the elves (yup I said elves) at a party I was singing last nite had a very cool and comfy backpack style with a well-hidden and useful pop-out rolling wheel/handle that was cheap and really hardy. He is sending me the info on where to purchase (he says it's way cheap, like Walmart cheap) - he actually tests backpacks for a living, gets paid to go camping, hitchhiking thru europe etc (very cool) and if it can handle that, it can handle my theater needs! Once I get the info, will share

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:50 pm »
Very nice bag but I want something not requiring lugging. One of the elves (yup I said elves) at a party I was singing last nite had a very cool and comfy backpack style with a well-hidden and useful pop-out rolling wheel/handle that was cheap and really hardy. He is sending me the info on where to purchase (he says it's way cheap, like Walmart cheap) - he actually tests backpacks for a living, gets paid to go camping, hitchhiking thru europe etc (very cool) and if it can handle that, it can handle my theater needs! Once I get the info, will share

Please do!

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:22 pm »
I was pleased to discover that after mentioning my intention to get myself an ipad over the summer that my family has decided to jump the gun for me. Although I am still contributing massively to the endeavor, my military grandfather used his base to get a tax free 64 wifi-3G ipad. Just in time to start my next gig. :-)
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:33 pm »
I'm honestly not sure what I would like for Christmas this year.  Maybe an upgrade to an ipPhone 4...some new clothes....if I could, I'd ask for a student loan payment!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:12 pm »
I was pleased to discover that after mentioning my intention to get myself an ipad over the summer that my family has decided to jump the gun for me. Although I am still contributing massively to the endeavor, my military grandfather used his base to get a tax free 64 wifi-3G ipad. Just in time to start my next gig. :-)

Let us know how that works out. I'm getting an iPad as a wedding gift, and I still haven't figured out exactly how it's going to be useful in my professional life. I just know I want the pretty, sparkly, shiny, whirring, electronic toy despite it's usefull/uselessness. It'd be nice to actually need it for something instead of just having a large iPod touch.

The gift I'm coveting most recently is a wireless laser printer. I've seen a couple that look awesome, but haven't been able to foot the bill myself. Mayhaps Santa will get me one.

Liz113

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Good People, Performance Network Theatre
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:57 am »
oooh an ipad! that sounds fantastic! I'm hoping to get a case for my letherman- i just got it for my birthday in Oct. and now my key ring is just heavy! Also a new mag light, sadly mine broke on the flight home :(

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:41 am »
So, what's everyone hoping for for Xmas/Hanukkah/generic holiday gift-giving?

Personally, I'm hoping for a new rehearsal bag, like this one:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40308?from=SR&feat=sr

That is a really nice bag.

For Christmas I want that and my MFA.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:47 pm »
What I really want for xmas/hanukah/kwanzaa/ramadan is (besides the basics - peace on earth, good will to all, dialogue not diatribe etc) is a freakin' LORT B or higher gig - maybe even production contact (I would love to break that cherry...) -

Santa, please, I've been a good girl, and I have most definitely paid my dues!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:05 pm »
What I really want for xmas/hanukah/kwanzaa/ramadan is (besides the basics - peace on earth, good will to all, dialogue not diatribe etc) is a freakin' LORT B or higher gig - maybe even production contact (I would love to break that cherry...) -

Me too (except, please give me some time off in early February . . . )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

valence

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:18 pm »

Let us know how that works out. I'm getting an iPad as a wedding gift, and I still haven't figured out exactly how it's going to be useful in my professional life. I just know I want the pretty, sparkly, shiny, whirring, electronic toy despite it's usefull/uselessness. It'd be nice to actually need it for something instead of just having a large iPod touch.

Slightly off topic, but I recently worked with someone who used an iPad a lot.  He was TD of my last show, and took notes on an iPad with a keyboard accessory--basically using it like a netbook.    He also LDed a show recently and would keep his magic sheet open on it.

On topic: I'm not sure what the proper name for this is (I saw it a lot in China, and I'm asking my mom to buy it while she's back there for Christmas), but it's essentially a thermos with two parts, one for hot water and the other for tea leaves.  I'm working in new facilities this year which are a great temperature everywhere except the tech table, where it is freezing, so having good tea this winter would be nice.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:48 pm »
I'm going on tour this year and my family is all chipping in on a new luggage set and carry on. My current set is a hand me down from 6 years ago and if I'm going to be living out of a suitcase for most of the year it might as well be a nice one :)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

late_stranger

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:30 am »
I'm asking Santa for a multi-tool this year, Leatherman or Gerber. It'll be my first.
Don't be so reverent about reality. It's just a trick, done with mirrors.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:53 am »
I'd like Santa to bring me a Nook or a Kindle, so that I can cut down on the number of books I drag along to all my gigs!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: Holiday SM Gifts
« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:18 pm »
I admit it.
I bought a gadget on late-night TV.

But...

I love it! It's a Redi Set Go (how appropriate, huh?) mini electric cooker.
On tour at the moment living in a Marriott and this thing is terrific!
Just had a perfectly cooked swiss cheese omelet. In a hotel room!
RediSetGo.com
Ordo ab chao

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday SM Gifts
« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:13 pm »
It's a Redi Set Go (how appropriate, huh?) mini electric cooker.... On tour at the moment living in a Marriott

maybe we can add that to the list of kitchen items, kind of like the colander rule....<g>