Author Topic: Holiday SM Gifts  (Read 25326 times)

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Holiday SM Gifts
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:51 pm »
I got this amazing pencil sharpener that can stick on to any surface, and once it's there, it acts as if it is screwed in to the wall.  Its cool because if I keep this in my kit, I don't have to deal with the annoying handheld pencil sharpeners.

Ah! Where from?! I want one!
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:09 pm »
Amie,

I'm not sure where it's from, but I know it's an X-ACTO brand and it uses a "vacuum mount".  It literally sticks to whatever you put it up to.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:18 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-1072-Vacuum-Sharpener-Receptacle/dp/B0000AQOMB/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1231197340&sr=1-9

I think that's it based on the description.  My mum used to have one in her office.  Real old school but sometimes the classics work the best!

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2009, 07:36 pm »
Same idea, though mine is slightly different.

yoyomankind

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, Phi Kappa Psi, SMA
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:34 am »
I used to use those when I was in elementary school.

Libby

« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:38 pm »
This year I got a new pixie printer (it's smaller than my laptop and I love it. It fits in my backpack with my laptop)

One of my favorite presents from last year: Spiral ring binding machine (it looks like a hole punch but is a beautiful/cheaper than binder way of binding scripts/Running packets/etc) A friend of mine loves to make logbooks for rehearsal and she now has a habit of coming to my place when she's in preproduction to make it there instead of going to staples.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:22 pm »
This year I got a new pixie printer (it's smaller than my laptop and I love it. It fits in my backpack with my laptop)

One of my favorite presents from last year: Spiral ring binding machine (it looks like a hole punch but is a beautiful/cheaper than binder way of binding scripts/Running packets/etc) A friend of mine loves to make logbooks for rehearsal and she now has a habit of coming to my place when she's in preproduction to make it there instead of going to staples.

Do you you have a link to this product you could share?  I'm sure a lot of folks would love to at least get a peak at it.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Libby

« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:06 pm »
The printer is actually a Canon Pixma i90V. I've been salivating over getting a small printer for awhile, and I really like this one. It is something like 4 pounds. Below is the amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-iP90v-Inkjet-Printer-2238B002/dp/B000NNEKZ0/ref=pd_cp_e_1?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012W9APQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04J1YZZKNKHYMRRWW4NE

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 01:14 pm »
An LED blue-light. Works wonderfully. I also got a coffee-table book called "The Art of the Stage" with photos from the Menil's theater collection. Costumes, promptbooks, and sets. Very thoughtful.

I also love the show-themed gifts....my cast for Twelfth Night got me a (Malvolio) yellow messenger bag with "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em" on it. Who doesn't need a giant messenger bag for work? And a bottle of champagne and oranges when I did The Real Thing (the biggest scene involves mimosas) was pretty nice too.  ;)

I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

TokenSM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 05:39 pm »
i have been getting into the habit of getting my assistants a brighter flashlight as a gift. It is amazing how many people need a better flashlight and don't even know it. I have toyed with the idea of getting a deer spotter for someone as a good gag gift though.

Biebs

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Tempest, Act II Playhouse, Ambler PA
Holiday Gifts for Stage Managers
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2010, 04:01 pm »
Hello all!  The holidays are coming up and my friends and family have been asking me what kind of gifts I want this year.  I'm really at a loss and was hoping some of you might have some fun ideas that I could pass on to everyone.  I googled "Gifts for Stage Managers" and all I found were stupid t-shirts so I'm hoping that you all may have some more practical suggestions.  Thanks!

--Mod Note: Topics Merged to keep it all together. Suggest poster also reads this topic for some ideas.

Rgds
-Mac
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010, 07:03 pm by Mac Calder »
~Biebs

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:17 pm »
There is a SM who has designed some great T-Shirts on Cafe Press, but if that's not to your taste, how about a gift card to Staples or Office Depot for supplies? Or a great new flashlight, or (my favorite gift from a cast member thus far) a prepaid massage or facial coupon. A box of chocolates will never be refused, of course, or something that says the person (cast or blood family) took a minute to know me enough to pick something appropriate (nice cuz I have fairly atypical taste). OR even a heartfelt card expressing appreciation and understanding of hard work and time spent.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2010, 11:29 pm »
SMLois had the cutest stage manager rubber duck on her blog (www.loisbackstage.com) with a link to the website where you can order them.  I'm planning on getting them for the rest of the SM team at my theatre- they're so precious! The duck is wearing a headset & carrying a clipboard! You can't go wrong with that.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2010, 11:32 pm »
I know this year I'm getting a nice canvas rehearsal bag from L. L. Bean. (My mother is terrible at keeping secrets.)

My sister did get me a "Trust me, I'm a stage manager" shirt last year. :) I don't wear it very often, but once an entire ballet company came up to me in the airport and thanked me for what I do!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
Gifts!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:04 pm »
So, what's everyone hoping for for Xmas/Hanukkah/generic holiday gift-giving?

Personally, I'm hoping for a new rehearsal bag, like this one:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40308?from=SR&feat=sr