Author Topic: Herbal cigars?  (Read 12692 times)

Anne

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Irish Actors Equity
  • Current Gig: Abbey Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Herbal cigars?
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:08 am »
In Ireland, we have a ban on the smoking of tobacco in the workplace.  As the theatre is a workplace (apparently!), we cannot use tobacco products onstage anymore.  Cigarettes are no problem, because we can get herbal ones in the health food shops, but I'm now working on a play which requires the actors to smoke cigars. 

I went to www.herbalcigar.com, but my designer didn't like them because they weren't big enough.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas?!?

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
Re: Herbal cigars?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 05:59 pm »
I suppose you could buy several of those, cut them up and roll your own cigars.
As to where you can find large rolling papers, I have no clue.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:46 pm »
It's a pity that the herbal cigar folks are all the way in India.  If you've got a long run ahead of you, you may well go through enough product to make it worth requesting a special order.  There cannot be too many vendors of herbal cigars out there, my guess is those folks have the rolling equipment handy and might be able to do up a case on spec if business is slow.

If you're booked for enough performances it might be worth stocking up and deep freezing them.  The smoking bans are not going away and there are enough works out there that call for smoking - a case of custom herbal cigars will not go unused.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:59 pm »
I did a bit of research on this and this is certainly a tricky one.

I've seen (and tried, thanks to an eager salesman) smokeless cigars.  They are battery powered and use cartridges.  They smell exactly like a real cigar, however they're made from tobacco extract that does not contain the toxins of a normal cigar.  Up close though it's fairly obvious that it's not a real cigar thanks to the non-lit tip.  Smokeless Cigar link

The smoke from this is actually a lot less aggressive on the smoker so it would be ideal for an actor.

As far as herbal cigars, I feel really sorry for the person who'd have to smoke those...  I smoke cigars occasionally and I cringe at the thought of smoking an herbal cigar, I think it would be incredibly harsh on the person's mouth, throat and lungs. 

As for hand-rolling cigars, cigars are rolled with a large tobacco leaf.  Not sure if you'd be able to find any rolling paper, but it'd likely wind up looking like a giant joint reminiscent of a Cheech & Chong movie.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009, 09:11 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

dcwhitson

• New to Town
  • I don't recognize you without your hat!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:32 am »
Ha! That is so funny those are sold at Target!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I get to go to lots of oversea places, like Canada." - Britney Spears

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:50 pm »
As for hand-rolling cigars, cigars are rolled with a large tobacco leaf.  Not sure if you'd be able to find any rolling paper, but it'd likely wind up looking like a giant joint reminiscent of a Cheech & Chong movie.
I was toying with the idea of dying rolling paper in tea or something, similar to the way some of us make parchment.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

AMEER

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:22 pm »
In california we also have a ban on Smoking Tobacco Indoor. However, there are over 16 exceptions and one of them is THEATRICAL WORK; what you do on stage is a whole another issue ;) so if you have an entertainment permit, you have a SMOKE ON STAGE PERMIT.

READ THE EXACT ARTICLR OF THE LAW in your state, you might find the same clause.

am33r

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:07 pm »
I believe the "state" in question here is "Ireland"

http://www.marijuanaalternatives.com/herbal-blunts.htm

^ Several options available there. Not sure exactly how big your designer is looking for?
-David

riotous