Author Topic: Help with my book please.  (Read 5012 times)

TheMrsS

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Help with my book please.
« on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:23 am »
Ok, so I need help. I need to know any ideas that SM's have to make a book just kick-***. I'm about to graduate and my director basically told me that I do not have the talent to become a SM or Production Manager (even though I have been a SM over 20 times- 6 or which were for him), so I want to show him that I can. I am currently working on a  show and I have a wonderful book, I just need to make it fan-tabulous. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you much!

Edited for content and removed caps from subject line - kmc307
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2008, 12:54 am by kmc307 »

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Help with my book please.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:31 am »
Maybe it's time to practice the ever important skill of letting comments like that roll off your back.  If you know what you are doing and are doing it well, I doubt you need the help anyone here can give.  There will always be people who make comments like that, and you have to learn to shrug it off.

Edited subject line to remove caps - kmc307
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:37 am »
I have had professors in college tell me that I was terrible at this, and I have had employers on the professional level tell me that I am amazing.  No madder how good you are (or bad) there will always be people with differing opinions.  What matters is weather or not you like what you do, and at the end of the day you know you put 100% into your work. 

Edited subject line to remove caps - kmc307

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2008, 01:39 am »
...AND, your book will not and does not speak to your SM skills. So do what feels right and what makes sense to you. I have worked w people who have terrible paperwork who are the most amazing SMs I have ever met, and people whose paperwork is exemplary but who can't call a show or run a rehearsal or deal with problems. Honestly, let it go. Your skills as a SM tie more to your attitude than demonstrating that you can work a typewriter.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2008, 11:41 am »
I'd be willing to bet you'd never be able to please that director no matter what your final book looks like. Just do the best you can and don't work for him in the future.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2008, 11:51 am »
A kick-*** book does not a great stage manager make.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:43 pm »
I agree with all these responses.  It's what you do with your book, not what it looks like, that matters. 

IF you have had trouble calling cues consistently during performances, or if you are unable to quickly find information that you need, then you should think about how to restructure your book to do that.  If you need any advice on specific questions like that, we'd be happy to help.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

riotous