Author Topic: Health Products  (Read 8938 times)

RBSchaf94

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Otterbein University
  • Experience: Professional
Health Products
« on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:48 pm »
I head construction crew as well as SM-ing, and my hands tend to get callouses/tears/cuts during shows. Normally, I never use lotion or creams, but I was working in class last month when a girl next to me saw my hands, gasped in horror, dove into her bag, and resurfaced with a little plastic container of Paula's Choice (apparently it is a makeup brand) lip and body balm. I tried to refuse her, but ended up applying a dab to a small burn on my finger that I received from a stubborn light two days earlier. At the end of the day I checked on it, and it was almost completely healed!
I ordered some for myself (not gonna lie, it's a bit expensive, fifteen bucks for a tube of lotion and a jar for lips) but have used it every time I've gotten a small injury and found it worth it; everything heals at a freaking amazing rate when I use it.
Does anyone else have health products they like to use? My old TD would swear on Dr. Schol's shoe inserts...

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Health Products
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:06 am »
I've always been a fan of Emergen-C vitamins B&C supplement.  A packet of that in a fruit smoothie will help a lot anytime you begin to feel run down.  If you're always on the go and don't have time to make your own, I enjoy the "Odwalla" brand products which are sold in grocery stores.

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:38 am »
Since we're approaching the winter season, I break out the Aveeno hand lotion every day.  My knuckles tend to crack and bleed - a problem since I've had since gymnastics in high school.  I'll use it occasionally after a big build too if my hands are particularly beat up.

As far as anything medicinal, advil liquigels are my go-to pain medication. Nyquil and Dayquil are great when I feel a cold coming on and need a good night's sleep.  I've never put much stock into Emergen-C or any of those supplements; I tend to rely on a good night's sleep and eating right.

I've been wanting to try Dr. Schol's for a while...maybe for Christmas!

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:04 am »
I've always been a fan of Emergen-C vitamins B&C supplement.  A packet of that in a fruit smoothie will help a lot anytime you begin to feel run down.  If you're always on the go and don't have time to make your own, I enjoy the "Odwalla" brand products which are sold in grocery stores.

I always start taking Emergen-C the first day of tech and for the next 2 weeks (through the run of the show).  It helps keep me feeling strong when I'm going on 6 hours of sleep and long hard work days, eating whatever happens to be available. 

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:40 pm »
Grapefruit seed oil is incredibly bitter, but a few drops of that in a glass of OJ is a great boost for the immune system. You can find it in most vitamin stores.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:27 pm »
Tiger balm for those achy muscles after long days. You'll smell like old people, and will most likely offend those around you, but at least you won't hurt anymore!

I've also heard people swear by arncare which is used primarily for joint/tendon pain relief, but it never worked for me. But I'll just throw it out there in case anyone has the need sometime.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:42 pm »
A tennis ball - does wonders for sore neck and shoulders (ask the dancers in your life how to use it for any number for muscle and tension relief massage tricks).

Water, water, water, water. I try not to drink more than a cup of coffee a day in tech, and maybe a half-cup at the end of the meal break on a long day.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:59 pm »
Tiger balm for those achy muscles after long days. You'll smell like old people, and will most likely offend those around you, but at least you won't hurt anymore!

I just started using Tiger Balm (and, on occasion, Lakota Extra-Strength) earlier this year. As someone with naturally weak knees and ankles who also does a LOT of walking, it's saved me many days of waking up sore. It's also become a favorite in my SM kit - something to give to achy actors.

riotous