Author Topic: Headset/ClearCom trouble  (Read 10162 times)

Kastle

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Little Prince; SSCC Theatre
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Headset/ClearCom trouble
« on: Jul 24, 2011, 10:13 pm »
I searched through previous topics and couldn't find one that matched my need, so I created one.

The space I'm working in has an old-ish wired ClearCom system (I'm not sure on exact numbers).  Recently, while the box has been turned on, I've been getting a feedback-type noise that my director describes as a "Chewbacca" noise. We've tried different channels, different wires, different headsets, and a different box.  Has anyone else every had this problem? And if so, what did you do to fix it?

anole

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Headset/ClearCom trouble
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2011, 01:27 pm »
We just had to troubleshoot our old ClearCom system too.

Do you hear the noise in only one headset or in all the headsets?
If only one headset, do you hear it all the time or only when you're talking through that headset?

Kastle

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2011, 10:29 pm »
It varies- sometimes it's in one headset, other times it's in all.  When it is in just the one headset, it happens randomly, even when the talk button isn't being held.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2011, 12:40 am »
Granted, you're not on wireless (where this happens most often), but have you done a cellphone check?

My LD was on a wired clear com during tech, and had his iPhone 3 (not 3G or 4) next to his comm box, and it would cause our feedback issues. Granted, it happens the most with the wireless coms and people carrying their phones in their back pockets - but this did happen to me with a wired com.

Worth a shot to ask "turn your cell phones off - not on vibrate, but OFF."

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2011, 08:45 am »
Comms loops are very susceptible to electromagnetic interference. Common causes are comms lines running beside power lines, mobile phones near comms lines, microwaves near comms lines... Basically, if people are worried about it causing cancer, there is a good chance that it will interfere with comms.

Also... Are you using light weight headsets?

Light weight headsets with the volume turned up too high will feed back.

They are a bit of a black art

Kastle

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2011, 12:30 pm »
We've done a cell check in rehearsals- I've had people go as far as putting their off cell phones in a box in the directors office, and there really wasn't much change. The headsets aren't light weight, but we have tried turning down the volume, and it didn't really help.

Other interference is possible, though it really doesn't sound like the typical noise that you get from cell interference.  Is there anything we can do to minimize the noise?
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011, 12:31 pm by Kastle »

anole

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2011, 04:55 pm »
Have you checked the connectors in the back to see if they're loose?

One issue we had was the male connectors in the back of the boxes would get loose- you wouldn't necessarily notice just plugging the cables in, but if you unplugged them and lightly pushed or pulled on the prongs they'd move forwards or backwards in the casing easily. This would wind up stressing then breaking connections inside the box, and sometimes it was accompanied by a loose screw rattling around in the box causing random problems.

Have you tried swapping out the order of the boxes to see if that changes anything?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:24 pm »
do your boxes have batteries? The clearcom systems used at one theater gets nasty and static-y whenever the batteries start to go.

Kastle

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2011, 11:29 pm »
We've checked the connectors, they're fine. We've tried trading out boxes. (The boxes do not run on batteries.)

It's all just really frustrating.  It seems like we've ran through almost every troubleshooting topic we can, and yet we're still getting this horrible feedback.

theatregeek89

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2011, 12:04 am »
Does there happen to be any metal near your comms? We tend to get a lot of feed back when one of the crew touches any kind of metal it causes interference.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2011, 06:16 am »
This might sound stupid, but sometimes if there's something "noisy" plugged into the same ring main as the comms master station, that could affect it.  If you can get hold of an isolating transformer, try plugging the master station into the power through that and see if it makes a difference.  Long shot, but I've known it to work...

Kastle

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2011, 10:56 pm »
There is a lot of metal.  Unfortunately, I'm right by the dimmer rack.  That could be a problem.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2011, 08:48 am »
Can you make sure nobody has accidentally created electromagnets in the process of running cable?

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2011, 10:38 am »
Are you using shielded cables?  Do you have a ground fault somewhere?  Maybe a poor/broken termination on a cable or wall panel somewhere in the building.

Is it possible to get your audio team involved in this?  While many of them lament that comms fall into their department, most of the time they are the most well-equipped to isolate and remove these types of faults. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Kastle

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2011, 02:29 am »
Unfortunately, I'm working with a college/community theatre, and in our space we don't have an audio team.  All tech problems fall to myself, the tech director (who is great, but only on his second show with us), and the director, who is also great but doesn't have a strong grasp on sound/audio stuff. 

The cables seem to be the only explanation left; since that's the one thing that we can't entirely check (they're in the ceiling, it would be a bear to get up to change all of them.) I'm in the process of begging for a new system. 

Once again, thanks for all the input.