Author Topic: Headset-suitable eyewear  (Read 3501 times)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Headset-suitable eyewear
« on: Jun 15, 2010, 06:16 pm »
I wear eyeglasses for distance vision, which presents problems when calling from a booth: the muffs either pinch the glasses into my temples, or bend and warp them, or push them forward until they fall off my nose...

I do own a featherweight headset, and it fixes the problem, but I can't always use it: my current job has me calling from a booth that also contains the (spectacularly noisy) dimmer rack, and without big muffs I can't even hear myself think.

If I can't do anything about the muffs, does anyone have any lines on good eyewear? Contact lenses are an easy solution, but have you tried any other options? (Have you found a frame design that works well with headsets? Does anyone have experience with monocles or pince-nez?)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Headset-suitable eyewear
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2010, 12:17 pm »
The quirky little part of my heart is screaming, "YES!  WEAR A MONOCLE! (and take pictures with your headset!)" but aside from that, I can't be of much help.  I wear glasses, and have never had problems with any headset, featherweight, or big muff.

No, wait, I just rememberd something.  I started wearing a hat whenever I'm on hedset, because I was having the same problem with the big headsets, making my glasses push into my head and my head hurt.  I got a leather driving cap sort of like this one:

The bottom edge is pretty far down on my head, close to my glasses.  The edge of the hat takes most of the pressure off the glasses, creating a sort of gap between your ear, the hat and the headset and spreading the pressure out over a bigger area.  Also, it's mad stylish and my crews are always amused about the generaly mild, female SM wearing a black leather hat to call the show.

I love my hat, but I imagine any hat that would fit under your headset and fit close to your glasses earpieces would have a similar effect!  I've been doing it for so long, now, that I forgot the original reason; it's just part of my routine!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2010, 09:56 pm »
MONACLE! No, really, I actually haven't had a problem with mine. I own a pair of the "nerd" glasses; the ones that are thick black frames with wide sides? They tend to sit a bit flatter than normal glasses, and actually work quite well. 

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2010, 05:41 pm »
I switched to contacts and the number of headset headaches I got dropped exponentially!

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2010, 05:14 pm »
I'll give the nerd glasses a try: Zenni seems to have a few suitable pairs, and while they won't suit me at all, if I'm only wearing them to call shows it shouldn't be a problem.

In the long term, though, I might look into pince-nez, if only for sheer pretention.  ;)