Poll

Which side do you like to wear your headset?

Left
25 (33.3%)
Right
31 (41.3%)
Either
15 (20%)
Dual-Sided!
4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Headset Side  (Read 14284 times)

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
Re: Headset Side
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2008, 02:53 pm »
Right Side, Always the Right Side.  (I will wear it on the left If I am switching headsets with a left eared person)

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2008, 07:55 pm »
I'm left-eared, too. Maybe because I'm right-handed?

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:31 pm »
It depends on where I'm calling from (which side of the stage).  I normally like to have my open ear facing the backstage area, so I can hear if people try to talk to me.  But for the last show I did, I had to sit next to the light board op and give the cues verbally right to him, so I wore the headset on the opposite side so I could communicate with him.
If it really doesn't matter, I like to switch ears at intermission, cause those big clunky things become uncomfortable after a while.

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2008, 01:22 am »
My headset is always on my left ear, but its not a personal choice - I can't hear out of my right ear.  During tech, actors and crew try to whisper into my open ear, and are baffled when I turn my whole head to give them my headset-ear. 

elliebelle

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2008, 02:24 am »
My first instinct is to say left side, but I guess I'm really... um... ambi-aural? It just mostly depends on the booth arrangement, like others have said: if monitor's to my left I'll wear it on the right, or I'll base it off of the board op/ops' position relative to me. Or, during tech I'll usually wear it on the opposite side as the booth door, for when a director or someone comes running in to tell me something urgent.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2008, 11:35 pm »
It just depends.  If I am calling from backstage I wear it on my downstage ear so my other ear is free for folks who need to come up to the calling desk.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 05:02 pm »
I use my right ear because my left ear has impaired hearing. It's not horribly impaired, it's just that I would rather use my left ear to listen to the show while the right ear is for headset stuff.
Sean

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 09:39 pm »
I was a left-ear in college, but have since damaged my right eardrum.  I now find that wearing it on my right ear is helpful, since I can bump up the volume to compensate for my slightly damaged hearing.  That leaves my left ear, which can hear subtle things better, free to listen to the show.

-Centaura

Vsable

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 04:23 pm »
I prefer to wear mine on the right ear because I'm left handed and my right ear has lost some of it's hearing.  I thinks it's also because in my current gig of touring if I'm actually calling a show, instead of running the light board myself then I'm onstage and prefer to call from RS.  Don't know why though.
JD Michael

riotous