Author Topic: Hand/head sets for light use in Spain  (Read 2936 times)

bobinspain

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Hand/head sets for light use in Spain
« on: Jun 29, 2010, 03:32 am »
Hi,

I'm SM for an amateur group in Almeria, Spain. We have the use of several local theatres, but all have no phones or comms equipment. We would like to buy handsets for the SM, ASM, FOH and Tech with option to add headsets, but I have no experience of using or buying such equipment.

We do 4/5 productions a year so they wouldn't get heavy use, but I would hope to get decent quality units on a budget of around £450.00.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bob  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 10:45 am by PSMKay »

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Hand/head sets for light use in Spain
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2010, 04:38 pm »
Are you after radios or wired comms?  Radios have the disadvantage that only one person can speak at once, and until they've released the talk button anything that anyone else says won't be heard - this is able to be overcome with good comms etiquette, but it is a pain.  The disadvantage of wired comms is that you'll have to run cables in every time you use them - but they're more reliable and you don't have the one person talking issue of radios.  Can I suggest you go over to www.blue-room.org.uk and have a search there - we've had many, many discussions about comms over there, probably in much more detail than you'll find here!

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2010, 04:54 am »
Please have a quick look at the Coms FAQ up the top of this board for a links to some coms manufacturers and other discussions around the topic of coms. What you go for depends primarily on needs and budget.. how many user stations, how many simultaneous talk paths - full duplex/half duplex/mix of the above. It may suit you better to hire comms for your event. I don't really think your budget is suitable for any really professional gear.

bobinspain

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2010, 11:06 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. I hadn't considered wired, it's a thought. Hiring also may be a possibility but the nearest city likely to do this is a three hour round trip. I just need simple, relatively silent communication from myself backstage to FOH and lights/sound. There won't be a lot of two way chatter as it's basically just me calling the cues and checking the audience status.

Will take your advice and search the site, many thanks,

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2010, 01:10 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. I hadn't considered wired, it's a thought. Hiring also may be a possibility but the nearest city likely to do this is a three hour round trip. I just need simple, relatively silent communication from myself backstage to FOH and lights/sound. There won't be a lot of two way chatter as it's basically just me calling the cues and checking the audience status.

Will take your advice and search the site, many thanks,

Hi Bob,

Though the city is a three hour drive they could ship them to you via courier.  If you have enough notice and can do standard ground shipping it will be fairly inexpensive! 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

riotous