Author Topic: Google Websites  (Read 8273 times)

[Name deleted]

Google Websites
« on: Oct 21, 2009, 02:54 pm »
I have been a fan of G-Mail and Google Calendars for some time now. I began using G-Mail for its archiving and labeling purposes. I can open every email I sent and received from a specific show, even if it was years ago, thanks to my google account.]

Recently, I have discovered Google Websites. It can be found across the top bar when you are logged into a google account. It has a simple editor for the looks and colors of your pages, or as I chose to do, you can load pictures in their places.

I began experimenting with this at [Company deleted], where the company now have a full website they can access from home to see their daily schedules, season schedules, City Information/Travel packets, and much more. You can choose to make the site public or private, and since I'm a stationary freak, all of the background I use are related to the website in someway.

Most recently, I created a website for my cast for Light in the Piazza, which my university is doing next quarter. I was able to post a PDF copy of the script and score (since librettos wont be ordered until the students are on break), the entire soundtrack, full production calendar, etc. The best part is because it is a google product, it works well with other google products. You can upload a google calendar onto a google website, and everytime something is added or changed on the calendar, it automatically updates the one on the website.

example:  (please note this website has not been given out to the public because it is still under construction!)
EDIT: Link removed.  If it isn't given to the public, then it shouldn't be here, on a public website.  Remember that SMNetwork gets 10x more visits per day than it has members. - PSMKay

So far I have received GREAT feedback. Actor's LOVE not having to call a hotline, check their email account, or track down their call board. A one-stop website has decreased confusion for everything from auditions to closing night! It has completely changed how I stage manage as well.

Basically, I was hoping other people could post questions if they are using google websites, positives or negatives about their own experiences, and other suggestions about the powers of the internet. So far the only limitation I've found with google is that there is a size limit to the site. It's fairly large, but I don't like the cap. Eventually I'd like to learn more about a real website making program, but there are so many out there it gets confusing (and expensive). Anyone have input?

Thanks,
[Name and company removed]
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009, 11:14 pm by PSMKay »

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Google Websites
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2009, 03:19 pm »
This looks really lovely. I've been thinking about setting up something similar for my next show in January, which is a national tour comprised of deaf and hearing actors. I thought it would be a great way to make sure that the cast and crew on the road always have the same access that the production team back home has.

I'm going to set one up right now i think!
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009, 11:14 pm by PSMKay »
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2009, 04:04 pm »
I'd love to do this for more shows that I freelance on. Especially small showcase productions where you don't necessarily have a "home base" let alone a call board, office, etc it'd be nice to have a one stop website for everyone to check, and would save me lots and lots of emails  :)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2009, 04:47 pm »
Looks interesting, useful as a tool - so long as everyone is agreeable to using computers.  I have to throw that caveat in there since I'm about to be named president to a board of directors where one person doesn't have email/internet access at all (and nothing you do or say will change his mind), and others say "Goo-what?" when I talk about our group's Google account. 

I do have to question your putting copies of the script and libretto online for others to download.  Do you have permission from the copyright holder to distribute electronic versions?  No problems if you do - but just checking.  I don't think that comes with the purchase of the rights for a show.

-Centaura

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:38 pm »
Not to mention the soundtrack...

<snip> 
I do have to question your putting copies of the script and libretto online for others to download.  Do you have permission from the copyright holder to distribute electronic versions?  No problems if you do - but just checking.  I don't think that comes with the purchase of the rights for a show.
-Centaura
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2009, 10:51 pm »
This would be illegal, unless you have specific permission from the copyright holder.

The only way you can digitally hand out copies of a script, music or sound track would be if you bought (and then destroyed) a legit physical copy for every digital copy you hand out.  

Listen, we work with artists, let us not steal from artists.   And considering that I know people who put that show together, wrote that show, and would be getting royalties on this information, I hope you don't mind that I point them (and their lawyers) toward your website, and they can determine the the legality of this page.  

Thank you for putting up your e-mail address and phone number which should make it easy for them to contact you.  I am sure Adam, his lawyers and the lawyers from Rogers and Hammerstein will be contacting you in the near future, and perhaps those in your department at Emerson.  Come on, with all the news stories about piracy of songs,  didn't you think this might be at the very least, illegal?

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009, 11:39 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2009, 12:16 am »
And back on topic...

Basically, I was hoping other people could post questions if they are using google websites, positives or negatives about their own experiences, and other suggestions about the powers of the internet. So far the only limitation I've found with google is that there is a size limit to the site. It's fairly large, but I don't like the cap. Eventually I'd like to learn more about a real website making program, but there are so many out there it gets confusing (and expensive). Anyone have input?

I really dislike turning control of my web-based materials to a third party. Plus the advertising in Gmail annoys me. So I rolled my own web-based system, which has worked pretty well one the last three shows I stage managed. I am using the self-hosted version of WordPress http://wordpress.org ; Mailman http://www.list.org and Web Calendar http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php . On my to-do list is to write up the instructions for the settings I use to get these systems to work together nicely.

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009, 11:15 pm by PSMKay »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2009, 12:30 am »
I have removed the link for the protection of the OP and her cast members.  One must remember when posting links on SMNetwork that all but a handful of our boards are publicly visible to every single person on the web.  As I noted in my edit above, only 1 in 10 visitors to the site daily are registered members.  The rest could be anyone from students to agents to union members to spammers.  If you mean for a link to stay private, please do not post it here.

If you manage to put together a sample version of a similar site using google sites that uses dummy information, I would love to see it and I'm sure we could have some wonderfully productive discussions of how such tools can/cannot and should/should not be used.  However, the live version that the OP is is not safe for our review at this time.

OP, if you work something up and would like to post a new link, please contact me by PM.  Until then, I'm locking this thread, as without the link we really cannot accomplish much here.

EDIT: As the OP has deleted her account, I have removed all instances of her name and her university from this thread.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009, 11:16 pm by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2009, 10:14 am »
Again, I think that any passive form of communication is not a easy as "pushing" out information with a call on e-mail.

I think this would be a good solution for those on a college campus who are computer centric, but as actors travel, and move away from college internet access may not be as easy to get to.  I find only about half of my actors in the LORT world have a computer on them when they travel, so doing a hotline and pushing out the daily call via e-mail is pretty much the tried and true method of communicating.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous