Author Topic: Google Docs.  (Read 13447 times)

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Google Docs.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2015, 12:12 am »
It would convert to a Google Doc, I believe. You can also re-download it from the site as an excel document. I haven't had much trouble with formatting issues back and forth, but I've used it on a limited basis. Blessed?
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2015, 12:16 am by SMMeade »

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
« Reply #16 on: Jul 06, 2015, 10:51 am »
When you upload it as an excel (or word doc) it will show up in your drive as an excel or word, open them and then at the top of the document it will as you open with, that is a drop down menu which will allow you to open it with docs or sheets and will create a duplicate that is a sheets or doc file, it will leave your original in tact through editing as well. And you can always export back to a .docx or .xlsx for people who just can't get on the google bandwagon.
 I find it a godsend when I'm going through script changes for instance after hours and I REALLY don't want to spend another minute at the office I'll go home, put on some sweats and log on with whomever it is I am doing the editing with and get it done
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2015, 11:47 am »
The formatting has long been my primary complaint of Google Docs, and really the reason I don't see it ever fully replacing the Office suite from an SM perspective.

With the evolution of Office 365 (at an affordable $8.25 user/month), there is a viable alternative that gives the functional benefits of Google Docs (sharing, cloud storage, etc.) without sacrificing the power of the Office suite.  That price point includes full desktop licenses (PC & MAC), and smartphone and tablet apps (iOS, Android, Windows).

Considering the SM's book and associated paperwork are property of the producing organization, SMs at a mature organization can make a very valid business case for this capital expense.  Perhaps we can create a general capital expense proposal for SMs or PMs to take to their producing organizations for consideration.  This would be a longer-term project, but one that could help bring further respect to the SM as a member of the management team and bring additional exposure as a good steward of the organization's interests.

Thoughts?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

TheWiseTurtle

• New to Town
  • "Live through this, and you won't look back."
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance - Taffety Punk
« Reply #18 on: Jul 25, 2015, 11:42 pm »
I for one welcome my new Google overlords.
Haha, I'm just kidding.
They're not new, we've been under their auspices for years.
I just closed a show that made prodigious use of Google Docs; it was The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other, and being an all-movement, no dialogue piece a live script kept the designers in the loop in a way that just reports never could. It was also invaluable for real-time updates during tech; the designers could plainly see on their own computers where I had my cues placed and could give feedback or even update it themselves(although I asked them to let me know first if they were making a tweak).
That being said, it is pretty clunky in terms of formatting, and losing internet is a constant fear, but overall I loved it and am glad to have it in my bag of tricks.
Needs more gaff tape.

doodlebug

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Over the River and Through the Woods
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2015, 02:46 am »
We are on our...fourth?...show using primarily Google Docs. It's been a life saver. The formatting issues drive me bananas however it has taken a lot of work to get us this far. I'd love to move over to Office 365 but I seriously doubt that would actually happen.

How do you document line notes and blocking? Do you upload the script or use a form?

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2016, 09:14 pm »
For line notes, I use a spread sheet.  I can send you an example template if you'd like.  Blocking, I use the script and keep a live copy.  I haven't yet moved to digital script keeping.

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2016, 10:00 pm »
If anyone has done a show 100% on cloud-based docs, please speak up.

We did!

You can download drive onto your computer like dropbox, and you can save excel/word docs that way. Just make sure to password protect them, or they can be accidentally converted into a google document.
Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2016, 12:52 am »
cloud base is all good and fine until you loose internet
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #23 on: Jun 07, 2016, 12:22 am »
Yeah, google docs is great until you can't all update it together because the wifi is out.  When we did hairspray almost all of our documents were on drive.  We had a digital script copy, all reports, even a slideshow groundplan for blocking purposes.  It was okay, but when the internet was down it was difficult.  We had someone who had unlimited data on their phone so we could use their phone as a temporary hotspot to send out reports.