Author Topic: Food prop question  (Read 7655 times)

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Food prop question
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:29 am »
I wanted to get opinions on how I could make a prop steak, a portion of which gets eaten every night. The challenge would be to make it look like one cohesive piece of meat. I've had to shellac a large loaf of bread before and thought of doing the same thing to the uneaten portion, but I have a feeling that wouldn't bode well. Something similar might work...any thoughts?

OfficerKrupke

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Food prop question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 06:33 pm »
How much of it gets eaten, and in what fashion.
Can you shellac the part facing the audience and put a new piece on the place each night or what exactly?

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:27 pm »
I would say half the steak gets eaten. It's served on a dinner plate with a fork and knife.

My question is would shellac work? Would it really keep the meat from rotting??

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 10:36 am »
check out this website:

www.fake-foods.com

they have very realisitic looking fake foods.  I just did a quick search for "steak" and there are a few different options.  A little pricey -- expect to pay $50 or so, but they look GREAT on stage. 

Then you could just get a cut of real meat, cook it and keep it in the fridge and put a little bit on the plate each night for the actor to eat.  Maybe make the "real mea"t portion into a simple meatloaf and use that -- keeps for at least a few days, and is chewier so it will be easier to eat and swallow than an actual piece of steak on stage. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:13 pm »
I definately like the meatloaf portion idea; much easier on my budget as well as my cooking abilities.

I did a Google search as well and found a seller on ebay that sells a variety of fake foods, steak is $3.95 + $6 S&H. For anyone else that is interested, the seller's store is called RND Store.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 08:01 pm »
Depending on the closeness of the audience, you may be able to use a piece of rye/brown bread with a little bit of whitish yellow frosting to add some fat lines.  If your audience is really close, it won't work, but if their not it would work.  Your actors would probably also appreciate something a little easier to eat than real meat.

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

riotous