Author Topic: Flameless sparklers  (Read 3382 times)

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Flameless sparklers
« on: Nov 01, 2014, 12:59 pm »
Hi guys, quick question...

Is there such a thing as a flameless sparkler? Like, something that looks like a sparkler, but doesn't burn or produce any sort of fire risk? My director wants to use sparklers as a prop, but doesn't want the trouble of setting up fire safety measures onstage. This is his suggestion, but so far, I haven't been able to find anything like it by searching the internet. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Flameless sparklers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2014, 02:57 pm »
Have you ever seen those toys that you get at the circus that have fiberoptic things coming out of them with lights on the end? Google "fiberoptic toy" and you'll see what I mean. That's what I think of when I head "flameless sparkler".

Good luck!

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2014, 06:53 pm »
No, there is no such thing as a flameless sparkler. They are also (technically) a pyrotechnic effect - which may have some flow on effects for you depending on your local laws (generally they are excepted from legislation except perhaps total amount that can be stored on site). Also, the standard 8-10" sparklers light fairly easily with a standard match, if your director wants the large ones - they need to be lit with something a lot hotter (like another sparkler).

From a safety aspect, the sparklers burn at between 1000oC (1800oF) and 1600oC (3000oF), eject slag which can seriously mess with your floor over a long run, and produce not inconsiderable amount of smoke (the bad kind, not the food grade suspension of water molecules we use for lighting effects). They are also responsible for 16% of fireworks injuries in the US and have started numerous fire (including devestating bushfires).

Nothing is insurmountable though.

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:45 pm »
Have you ever seen those toys that you get at the circus that have fiberoptic things coming out of them with lights on the end? Google "fiberoptic toy" and you'll see what I mean. That's what I think of when I head "flameless sparkler".

Good luck!

Thanks, but I don't think that's what he wants. I can ask him, though.

No, there is no such thing as a flameless sparkler. They are also (technically) a pyrotechnic effect - which may have some flow on effects for you depending on your local laws (generally they are excepted from legislation except perhaps total amount that can be stored on site). Also, the standard 8-10" sparklers light fairly easily with a standard match, if your director wants the large ones - they need to be lit with something a lot hotter (like another sparkler).

From a safety aspect, the sparklers burn at between 1000oC (1800oF) and 1600oC (3000oF), eject slag which can seriously mess with your floor over a long run, and produce not inconsiderable amount of smoke (the bad kind, not the food grade suspension of water molecules we use for lighting effects). They are also responsible for 16% of fireworks injuries in the US and have started numerous fire (including devestating bushfires).

Nothing is insurmountable though.

Darn... He doesn't want to do fireproofing, have people ready with extinguishers, etc. if we don't have to. We may just wind up scrapping the sparklers idea.

riotous