Author Topic: Fire Retardant Costumes  (Read 4343 times)

Dana_SM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Fire Retardant Costumes
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:06 pm »

Has anyone ever made their own flame retardant coating?

I am working on gig with fire dancers and jugglers and we are only using the costumes for one performance and don't want to spend a lot of money and effort flame proofing our costumes (especially since we already have the costumes).

I found a recipe online using a mix of Borax, Boric acid and water that you soak the costumes in and lasts until the next time you wash them.

newbielink:http://www.budget101.com/awesome-halloween-ideas/how-fireproof-your-costume-3065.html [nonactive]

Has anyone ever used this method before? Does it work?

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Dana

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Fire Retardant Costumes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:19 pm »
we are only using the costumes for one performance and don't want to spend a lot of money and effort flame proofing our costumes (especially since we already have the costumes).

Don't want to spend a lot of money or effort?  How much is someone's life, health or career worth?  What is the dollar amount you put on that?  If you use the "home brew" flame retardent, do you just cross your fingers and hope nobody is injured? 

This is wreckless and if you are in the US criminally negligent.

I would highly advise to have this professionally done.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:34 pm »
Totally agree... Fire Retardant is one of those things that should be mixed by professionals, and with some types of acts (like fire acts) probably applied professionally too. Then tested... and retested.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:10 pm »
This seems like the last place you'd want to cut costs! Have you spoken with the people who will be fire-dancing/juggling? I imagine that if they are trained professionals (I'd be much more concerned if they were amateur!) they have special costumes for this, or at least some suggestion on how to make it safer.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

riotous