Author Topic: File Totes  (Read 12047 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
File Totes
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:12 am »
I went to Office Depot, that mecca of all Stage Managers, yesterday to get a Mother's Day gift.  I was a good girl, and didn't buy anything for myself, but I couldn't resist walking around and drooling over the office supplies.  and I almost bought something very similar to this: http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=9392, though what I found had a cover over the top.  And was purple.  ;)
I'm one of those SMs who uses two binders, one for script/score and one for all other paperwork, and I thought this would be GREAT for all that other stuff.  Reasons:

• Faster accessibility
  • Frequently accessed docments not tearing at the hole punch point
  • Easier to take something out to be photocopied or loaned.
  • Easier to pull out and look at two documents at once
  • It is its own carrying case.

I ended up not getting the tote because my script in it's binder wouldn't fit in it, as well, and I'm trying to REDUCE bag lady syndrome when I leave for the theatre.  But I'm sure such a beastie exists that my three ring binder would fit into.

Anyway, I thought I'd share.  Does anyone use a system like this, or see a major stumbling block to it that, in my enthusiasm, I'm missing?  Of course, it goes without saying that everything would still get 3-hole punched and added to the show book at the end of it all.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: File Totes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:07 pm »
This is actually a topic I've been thinking about in my own world recently. I've been researching good home office desks for small spaces and needed to solve the file system issue without getting a huge file cabinet that would be hard to move. Right now I have a small plastic file crate with loose file folders. It works ok, but not great. The desk I'm leaning towards right now doesn't have a built in file cabinet and the cabinet cube it does have apparently doesn't fit normal file crates.

Anyways, back to the subject at hand, I like that tote idea for organizing shows. I've seen something like that at my current day job at a bookstore. We use it for messages to employees and also as a checkout system when an employee wants to check out a book. I've heard of other stage managers using it to send home memos and printed schedules to members of a large cast and crew (including line notes).

Personally, I've been looking at some of the thinner accordion file folders that lay flatter and are the size of a standard notebook. I recall seeing one a long while back that was three whole punched on the bottom and had a flap top so that it fit flat inside a large notebook. Might have been too thin to hold everything for a production, but I bet it would hold a weeks worth of reports, schedules and other updates that need to be addressed before being retired the the big book.

http://www.amazon.com/Punched-Expanding-Assorted-CRD14800-Category/dp/B001A3O412/ref=sr_1_116?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1273090565&sr=1-116
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:18 pm by BLee »
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 04:30 pm »
Did you guys see this?! This would be PERFECT for us two-binder people!

Moderator note:  touched up bbcode.  -kmc307
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:31 pm by kmc307 »

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:52 am »

Now I'm a one-binder kind of gal so forgive me my naivete here...I always thought the reason to use two separate binders was so you don't lug a script home every night / everywhere.  Why not use one larger binder and embrace the simplicity of the solution?

Looking at the photos of this binder, it looks too complicated (for me).  I imagine a lot of fumbling trying to go from one section to the other. 

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:18 am »
I use a little file carrier for extra forms, photocopies etc. I got a very cute one as a gift from http://www.knockknock.biz/ that says "I'M LIVING THE DREAM" on one side and "I'M DYING ON THE INSIDE" on the other. :)

(Actually, I love a lot of the Knock Knock office supplies- my other favorite being the binder clips with Important, Urgent, Trivial, Can Wait on them.)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:09 pm »
Oh, wow, Missliz!  That website!  Ooooo!  My love of office supplies AND sarcastic sense of humor all in one!  It will be all your fault when I'm in the poor house!

After some rabid google serching, yesterday, I found this: http://www.jamieraquel.com/default.asp  I e-mailed the company asking about the internal measurements.  She responded quite quickly and said that the spread between the file hanging bars was 12".  Since most reasonable sized 3-ring binders have a dimension somewhere between 11" and 12" it will work!  I know what I'm getting myself for my birthday this year!  And just in time for my fall shows, too!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:16 pm »
I use a little file carrier for extra forms, photocopies etc. I got a very cute one as a gift from http://www.knockknock.biz/ that says "I'M LIVING THE DREAM" on one side and "I'M DYING ON THE INSIDE" on the other. :)

(Actually, I love a lot of the Knock Knock office supplies- my other favorite being the binder clips with Important, Urgent, Trivial, Can Wait on them.)

I <3 Knock Knock! They have these post it notes that I would love so much if they weren't so expensive for so few. In fact, I would love to own the whole line except for the cost issue.

XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 06:13 pm »

I actually got a post-it set as a gift as well....love it.
I <3 Knock Knock! They have these post it notes that I would love so much if they weren't so expensive for so few. In fact, I would love to own the whole line except for the cost issue.

I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 05:58 am »

Love it ! I need to check if they will deliver to outside of the US. And I know 'language' isn't permitted on SMNetwork, but the url for this is OK - and the product nearly made me fall off my chair laughing !

http://www.knockknock.biz/catalog/categories/sticky-notes/stickies-sets/pardon-my-french-stickies-set/

Lizzie

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:15 am »
Hey all! This is officially my first post on SMNetwork! I'll be working on my profile once SETC and mid-terms are over. Anyway, I was browsing through these forums while I was (still am) updating some of my paperwork and cleaning up my prompt script from my very first show doing anything related to stage management (ASM, but did paperwork for class and my own benefit); and I saw this thread. I decided to add what I'm getting for a tote. Since I'm a nerd, I decided to get this http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/ for all my lugging needs. As a table-top gamer, I couldn't resist.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:03 pm »
Moderator note:  touched up bbcode.  -kmc307

I really researched these and sadly they've changed the zippers and fabric to a cheaper alternative than the original, so they don't last very well up to wear and tear. I've been searching for an alternative ever since.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:28 am »
I just realized, I hadn't updated.  I got one of the Jamie Raquel file totes from my dad for my last birthday, and it is awesome.  VERY sturdy, my script slides down behind the file folders, the interior pockets are just the right size for highlighter, sharpie, sharpie pen, red pen, black pen, pencil and eraser, and I can "hide" a few small things under the hanging files.  Most recently, that's been the hidey hole for the stash of herbal cigarettes smoked and altoids consumed during the show.
My ASM liked it so much, she bought one of her own!

cserendipity

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Prime Stage Theatre
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:50 am »
I just got one of those Jamie Raquel file totes and I love it!  Thanks for the recommendation!  (I also plan on getting my sister one for her birthday.)  Now if only I could afford one in every color...... haha  ;D 
If Plan A didn't work... the alphabet has 25 more letters.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 08:51 pm »
Does anyone know a way I could get stuff from Knock Knock shipped to the UK, without paying exorbitant charges?? I want to live in their warehouse!! :)

Chris

SMdrum

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Resident SM at Matrix Theatre Company
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:11 pm »
I was recently at Pier One Imports and they had a lot of Knock Knock brand office supplies.  I bought some of their notepads :)