Author Topic: What Type Of Drill Is Best?  (Read 12972 times)

Daz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Random Ramblings
Re: What Type Of Drill Is Best?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2007, 11:52 am »
My lovely boyfriend purchased me the makita 18v lithium ion for my last birthday, and I must say, it's incredible.  It weighs far less than the dewalt 14s and 18s which makes it much easier if you're using it at weird angles or above your head, plus it does have the very helpful light on the end of it.  The biggest plus I've found also with the new lithiumion batteries is that aside from being lighter than the standard ones, they also charge in around 15 minutes which is great.  Definitely one I would recommend if you're willing to make the investment.
*Aude Sapere*
*Nosce te Ipsum*

If I could read your mind, I wouldn't need the headset

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2007, 11:26 pm »
Also, I agree that a corded drill is important
There are some tasks that are darn near impossible to do with a cordless drill.
There is just something comforting about having a 15 amp high RPM corded power drill in the shop, should the need arise.

Ah, but for a typical Stage Manager's needs -- shouldn't cordless be the emergency fix but someone else running the shop tools be the norm?

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:01 am »
Also, I agree that a corded drill is important
There are some tasks that are darn near impossible to do with a cordless drill.
There is just something comforting about having a 15 amp high RPM corded power drill in the shop, should the need arise.

Ah, but for a typical Stage Manager's needs -- shouldn't cordless be the emergency fix but someone else running the shop tools be the norm?

For typical SM needs yes of course a cordless will be the desirable tool in most cases; this thread, however, was asking about set construction  :)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

mcnallca

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:50 am »
One thing that i have noticed on this thread is that people keep talking about the voltage of the drill, equally important is the ampage and it is somthing that is all to often overlooked.

For instance take the the dewalt 12v 1.3ah  cordless drill (my reccomendation by the way, anything that you need more power for than that means that it is time for a corded drill) this has the the same wattage (which is the all important number here as it is a measure of how much work it can do) as an 18v drill which uses a 0.7ah battery (approx) and is far lighter as it requires a much smaller battery.  your standard B&D or other DIY brand will have a low ampage and just wont be up to a day of hard work.

eventual

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2009, 11:40 am »
OPINIONS PLEASE? ???

1. Festo/Festool
2. Festo/Festool
3. Festo/Festool
4. Fein
5. Makita

to be honest, i´m using nr.5 because i don´t use the machine
often enough to buy a festo

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:02 pm »
Nothing says "I love you" like powertools

Sadly, my wife thinks that birthday presents should be "fun" and not something you would buy for yourself. I'm trying to edumacate her :-)

Our shop uses DeWalts. Maybe it's just the batteries they have for them but they can't just be left on the charger, they have to be charged only until full and then unplugged. Rather annoying as you have to keep track of which batteries are full and which aren't. They're pretty good otherwise! I've also had exceptional luck with the Makitas though. Bought my dad a Craftsman a few years ago and he's still loving it - so there's something to be said for that. DeWalt would probably be my first choice though.
-David

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:44 am »
1. Festo/Festool
That solves one mystery.
That's the drill/driver that Richard Trethewey uses on "Ask This Old House".
My father and I have been guessing and researching for a few years now.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

yoyomankind

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, Phi Kappa Psi, SMA
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:03 am »
I must say, for years I had been a firm believer in the DeWalt Cordless Drill, but this past year I was introduced to the Bosche 14.4 BruteTough Drill Driver, which is built like a tank.  Needless to say, I am now a huge fan of Bosche.

For stage managers though, I must say that the 12V Litheon Drill Driver by Bosche is perfect.  It charges in 15 minutes for approx 100 screws worth of battery life.  It is small enough that it can fit in your pocket, and has a decent enough amount of torque to it.