Author Topic: Ergonomics and the Tech Table  (Read 19521 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Ergonomics and the Tech Table
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:57 pm »
One of our members has recently been discussing the ergonomics of tech tables/rehearsal room setups for stage managers on Facebook. I thought it might be a good topic to bring up to the community as a whole. While we need to remain mentally alert, our job can be quite sedentary - we stay seated a lot of the time. This kind of work is not necessarily good for you, nor is working in darkened, windowless areas in theatre seats that aren't really designed as office chairs.

What are some steps you've taken or can take to improve your posture and health in the rehearsal room?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Ergonomics and the Tech Table
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2013, 12:06 am »
I find that my posture is better if I stand more.  I ran my last tech standing at the tech table.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2013, 11:20 am »
Oh wait . . . was this about MY facebook conversation?

So, after a year, I find myself back in a full rehearsal process, and I found sitting to be JUST draining - sitting for nine hours a day was just sucking out energy - and I found my general attitude to be just foul.

I posted something about that, and I got a lot of responses - such as exercises to do like you would on a long flight, etc.  But I got linked to this article . . .

http://m.runnersworld.com/health/sitting-is-the-new-smoking-even-for-runners?page=single

And it lead me to look into (portable) standing desk options - since my near future has a LOT of travel, so anything that I could easily ship or put in luggage, I had to rule out.

I settled on this . .  .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LNVMIS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a picture of it in action . . .

Works great thus far.  (There are little mouse pad add ons if you need a mouse pad)

So, now I am standing 8 hours a day.  I have my script on a music stand to my right.  , and during runs, I put the prompt script on the lap top stand.  I have a high stool to perch on when I need it.

I like this set up - because it actually helps me jump up and lend a hand in the room.  My posture is not great, but when I stand, it helps me focus on it.  I also leave rehearsal with 200% more energy then I used to.

How I do this in tech will be interesting, since I am at a new theater and unsure how the tech table set up is . . . But we shall see.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:24 pm »
Yes, it was about your Facebook conversation. Thanks for sharing the evolution of your desk!

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:30 pm »
Do you do do all your note/blocking taking, in the book, on the music stand?  I love this standing computer lift, but I need a way to lift both the book and the computer to a standing height, as I use both, interchangeably, during the day, and don't want to bend to use/write in, the book.  Any suggestions?
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:33 pm »

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2013, 05:37 pm »
Ruth - two sturdy music stands do the trick for me, in a pinch. If the props department has something like an old calling desk or podium with a flat top and angled desk surface with a lip, that's even better. (Really, who doesn't kinda love a good, simple calling desk?)

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2013, 02:12 pm »
In rehearsal rooms I'm always at a music stand or I have an inexpensive plastic stand that tilts at various angles, replicating the slant of a music stand.

A few years ago I was teching a show with a folding chair and a table set on a very steep audience rake so I was constantly leaning downwards - I mentioned to the TD that it was giving me back problems and headaches and when I came in the next day he had built a little counter rake for my chair so it was like sitting at a normal theater.  It was great and made for a much improved tech.

I mentioned this to the next theater I was at and the Deck Carp got a little offended, said that they'd be happy to build me something to make teching easier (to replace the board they sat over the audience seats).  I gave them dimensions for a box that slips in an audience seat, basically a booster seat so that the tech table is the proper height for me to easily see my book, and reach my buttons.  Again, it made a huge difference, and went into storage with the rest of the tech benches so I used it for years.

For help calling shows more comfortably I once asked the theater to buy an anti-fatigue mat for me to stand on - the existing call desk had a piece of plywood over metal grate and was brutal to stand on even for a short show.  What I actually said to the company manager was 'can we get some kind of carpet or pad or mat to make this better?' and they did the research and found a perfect product used frequently in industrial settings and kitchens.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2013, 03:10 pm »
A few years ago I was teching a show with a folding chair and a table set on a very steep audience rake so I was constantly leaning downwards - I mentioned to the TD that it was giving me back problems and headaches and when I came in the next day he had built a little counter rake for my chair so it was like sitting at a normal theater.  It was great and made for a much improved tech.

I mentioned this to the next theater I was at and the Deck Carp got a little offended, said that they'd be happy to build me something to make teching easier (to replace the board they sat over the audience seats).  I gave them dimensions for a box that slips in an audience seat, basically a booster seat so that the tech table is the proper height for me to easily see my book, and reach my buttons.  Again, it made a huge difference, and went into storage with the rest of the tech benches so I used it for years.

For help calling shows more comfortably I once asked the theater to buy an anti-fatigue mat for me to stand on - the existing call desk had a piece of plywood over metal grate and was brutal to stand on even for a short show.  What I actually said to the company manager was 'can we get some kind of carpet or pad or mat to make this better?' and they did the research and found a perfect product used frequently in industrial settings and kitchens.

You know, it's amazing what people are willing to do for you if you ask. That took me a really long time to learn and I'm always pleasantly surprised by how well just asking works.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2013, 03:35 pm »
I would love to have a standing desk on casters that would accommodate my laptop and my script, then be able to transfer it to the theater for tech...

And Christmas is next month, maybe the scene shop guys will get my wishlist!

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2013, 04:04 am »
I don't have anything personal to add, but I have seen a stage manager call a show from sitting on a balance ball behind the desk.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:15 pm »
I am in the middle of of day two teching at a standing desk . . . the big key was getting a gel mat to help with the fact the concrete floor underneath me SUCKS.

Other then that, its going great.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2013, 10:17 pm by MatthewShiner »

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:12 am »
Glad it's working Matthew. Are you using you folding Amazon desk on top of a Tech. table, or something else? If yes to the Amazon table, are you standing between rows of theatre seats?

Also, there are hundreds of gel anti-fatigue mats out there.  Does anyone have a link to or a recommendation of a fairly inexpensive one, that worked for you?
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2013, 06:44 pm by RuthNY »
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:13 pm »
Also, there are hundreds of gel anti-fatigue mats out there.  Does anyone have a link to or a recommendation of a fairly inexpensive one, that worked for you?

If you look up Anti-fatigue Mats on Office Depot there's quite a selection: http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/antifatigue-floor-mats/N=5+501501/

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:09 am »
Moderators, my comments are in response to the articles about the dangers of sitting rather than ergonomic desks/chairs, etc.  So feel free to split this to a separate thread if it seems appropriate.

When I first read these articles, I thought to myself, "This can't apply to me."  I'm currently the ASM on a a musical where I alternate between running the deck and calling the show.  In either instance, I stand for all but 10 minutes of the show (and that's erring on the side of over-estimating my sitting).   But these articles really stuck with me, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized I DO sit a lot during the day. 

Taking a cue from diet and financial experts who suggest tracking your daily habits to understand where you need to make changes, I kept a "sitting diary", just for one typical two-show day, from waking up to sleep.  The result? 405 minutes of sitting (that's 6.75 hours - in the danger zone of 6+ hours).  Despite the 5 hours of standing I do during the actual show, it was all that extra time we SMs build into our day that hurt my numbers (call time is 1.5 hours before curtain, I kill 1.5 hours between shows in the office, I sit on my subway commute into work...).

I have already made a few adjustments to my daily routine to try and keep that number down: I stand on the subway ride into work, after I check preset at half-hour, I try not to sit at my desk unless I have specific paperwork to do.  Heck, I'm typing this post while standing at my kitchen counter (which is conveniently a pretty comfortable height to serve as my at-home "standing" desk).