Author Topic: Ergonomics and the Tech Table  (Read 19503 times)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Ergonomics and the Tech Table
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:53 am »
PSMKay's original post was regarding a work environment that's predominantly sedentary and how to avoid that, so I don't think we're veering too far off topic by branching slightly into personal life (After all, we only have one body.  Our physical health is our health whether we're in rehearsal or at home).  A lot of the conventional wisdom over the last couple of years suggests that we should shoot for 10,000 steps/day to avoid a sedentary lifestyle.  There are a number of relatively affordable devices out there that track our steps (e.g. Fitbit or Jawbone), I found wearing a pedometer a good way to measure how active I've been, and perhaps more importantly how inactive I am some days.  Some devices will even buzz you if you've been sedentary for x number of minutes. 

Once you start to get into the mindset of reaching 10,000 steps/day you find ways to make it happen, even if your job is mostly sitting.  Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park at the back of the lot, get off one transit stop before yours and walk, etc...  At the end of the day if I'm short of 10,000 I will walk around my living room while I watch TV instead of just sitting on the couch.  I'm sure it looks pretty goofy to my neighbors in the next building over, but it's a good way to get in some extra steps while relaxing.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SamanthaR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Phoenix Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:58 pm »
I am an avid yoga ball sitter and have been for probably 8 years now.  I sit on the ball in rehearsal, mine is weighted with sand so when I jump up to help in the room it does not roll away.  If I end up sitting in a regular chair I find my body is much more fatigued.

I prefer to stand to call a show.  That said my new theatre's booth does not allow for standing and seeing the stage.  I will probably even need to sit on the floor for my next show just to see all of the on stage action properly.  I found that my old school ergonomic chair is helpful for a reminding me about posture in this new seated calling environment.

Thanks for starting the conversation, it's interesting to see what other people do!  I am intrigued by the standing desk...
wee but mighty

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2014, 08:17 pm »
Worked in a venue recently where the house electrician had a treadmill desk in the booth. He walked while we teched and during the performance. Never missed a cue, only paused if he had a question for me. Don't think that it's for me but interesting to see someone making it work for them.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2014, 10:16 pm »
I've wanted this, forever!!

Worked in a venue recently where the house electrician had a treadmill desk in the booth. He walked while we teched and during the performance. Never missed a cue, only paused if he had a question for me. Don't think that it's for me but interesting to see someone making it work for them.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2014, 11:08 pm »
Me too, altho maybe not for super complex calls.....

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2014, 11:23 pm »
It stands to reason that if the folks down there can reproduce complex choreography on raked stages while singing and (usually) hitting their marks, then an SM can call a show while walking at a consistent pace. 

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #21 on: Jun 19, 2014, 05:18 pm »
....unless you are a klutz, or running, of course.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #22 on: Jun 19, 2014, 09:54 pm »
It stands to reason that if the folks down there can reproduce complex choreography on raked stages while singing and (usually) hitting their marks, then an SM can call a show while walking at a consistent pace.

Even without being a klutz, and I think for really musical calls, I would have a hard tine walking NOT to the beat of the song.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 19, 2014, 11:50 pm »
I am so that klutz. I would love this kind of thing, but I don't think I could stomach writing in the performance report, "LQ37 late due to SM falling off treadmill."  :D

TuckerelleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Company Stage Manager, Alabama Ballet
« Reply #24 on: Aug 28, 2014, 11:53 am »
Thank You for the link to the Amazon table. That is just wonderful and just what I am looking for in the studio rehearsals. I'm going to buy it and see if I can get some caster put on it. Xing my fingers it will fit in between aisles at the theatre.
Now for chairs - anyone have a recommendations? I'm in the dance studio 5 hours a day taking notes and running music - the controls and display on the music cart are at seated shoulder level, so I have to be seated to operate efficiently. It's killing my hamstrings, pulling my back - miserable! Anything that has worked for you?

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #25 on: Aug 31, 2014, 01:34 pm »
Those butt-boards they lay across the seats are deadly! I always make sure I can sit in a chair or I stand the entire tech.

Some shows I prefer to call standing and in that event the anti-fatigue mats are life savers. Otherwise in rehearsal where I have to bring all my stuff with me everyday to rehearsal I don't want to bring another table/mat with me so I make sure to mentally check in on my posture all day.

Oddly enough since I wear dresses to rehearsal almost exclusively, I've taken to wearing a belt/sash around my empire waist as a fashion choice. It also makes me very conscious of my posture as if I slouch it digs into my back/stomach.

Also 8 years of rigorous flute training has instilled sitting on the edge of my chair with proper posture.

What is most fatiguing for me is the low light conditions in tech/booth - I've actually developed light sensitivity in my eyes (according to my optometrist) over the last decade of my career. I have to wear sunglasses outside 100% of the time and be really careful of how much screen time I spend in front of my phone/computer. It's interesting how a career choice where you don't think of it having physical impact can create a real change over time.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

freakofmusic

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 21, 2014, 09:49 pm »
I would love to have a standing desk on casters that would accommodate my laptop and my script, then be able to transfer it to the theater for tech...

And Christmas is next month, maybe the scene shop guys will get my wishlist!

This one has the sweet "pssssshhhh" lift:

newbielink:http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-Height-Adjustable-Computer/dp/B004G91RK8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411350462&sr=8-5&keywords=rolling+laptop+stand [nonactive]

But you could fit so many more books and paperwork on this one:

newbielink:http://www.amazon.com/TECHNI-MOBILI-Cadmus-Mobile-Graphite/dp/B003M96GY0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1411350462&sr=8-8&keywords=rolling+laptop+stand [nonactive]

TarytheA

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:39 pm »
Scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed today, I saw this standing desk and thought of this thread:
http://weburbanist.com/2014/10/16/refold-workstation-mobile-flat-pack-cardboard-standing-desk/

It looks like it would take a few minutes to set up and take down, but also looks decently light and easy to transport.  I believe it comes in a couple of sizes.

Just don't spill your coffee on it.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:59 am »
I would love to have a standing desk on casters that would accommodate my laptop and my script, then be able to transfer it to the theater for tech...

And Christmas is next month, maybe the scene shop guys will get my wishlist!

This one has the sweet "pssssshhhh" lift:

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-Height-Adjustable-Computer/dp/B004G91RK8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411350462&sr=8-5&keywords=rolling+laptop+stand

But you could fit so many more books and paperwork on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/TECHNI-MOBILI-Cadmus-Mobile-Graphite/dp/B003M96GY0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1411350462&sr=8-8&keywords=rolling+laptop+stand
Since there isn't a lot of transparency about when sales start or end (or whether something is perpetually "on sale") I'm always a little suspicious, but both of those links are currently really marked down. If you were eyeing those standing desks, this may be your chance!

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:55 am »
So, I wanted to toss this in on the thread too.

I was recently talking to one of my SM friends, and they had mentioned that they always tried to call shows standing. She claimed that standing not only helped keep her focus, but that she didn't get tired of standing if her attention was elsewhere, like calling the show. Her claim was that if she was just doing paperwork, eventually, she'd get bored with standing and sit down, but when focused on the show, she didn't.

Thoughts on this? How do you call a show? Sitting or standing? I suppose it also depends on whether you call from the booth or backstage.
Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing