Author Topic: DVD player for video projection/disable display of "play" "pause"  (Read 10070 times)

marinepine

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Hi all,

I am currently stage managing a show which is using video projection on the cyc via a DVD player and projector.

My question: How do you NOT display "play' and "pause" on the cyc every time there's a start/stop cue? Is there a dvd player that can disable it's onscreen display?

Thanks!
-Susanne
New Mexico

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
My guess is that you will have better luck researching this by looking at different DVD player models, or asking someone who works in an electronics store.

Typically, when video is projected in theatre, it is done through some kind of computer program designed for that purpose, rather than a DVD player. You can trying looking through the manual to the DVD player to see if there is a way to turn that feature off, but other than that I am not sure any of us will be able to help, since we are not familiar with the particular player you are using.

Good luck with your search.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
Pioneer DVD-V8000 is one of the few professional DVD players on the market these days, and it is the preferred device in our company (which deals with higher-end corporate audio visual). The main outputs have no onscreen display, however there is a composite out called "super out" which shows time code information for cueing . If you must use a DVD player, see if you can hire one. Otherwise, laptop playback would be my suggestion (a Mac with qLab is my choice)

There are a few others that may work, but most of the domestic ones do not have the option of turning off the On Screen Display.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
The answer, as Mac has previously stated, is to use a commercial grade player.  For our systems we typically specify a Tascam DV-D01U when a DVD player is required.  What model player are you using?  Consumer level stuff usually does not have many options, especially if it's the low end consumer stuff that you pick up for $15-$20 at Wal-Mart.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011, 08:36 am by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Otherwise, laptop playback would be my suggestion (a Mac with qLab is my choice)

Qlab is a wonderful program that gives you a lot of versatility with projections.  It's only available on a mac if you decide to go this route, just a heads up.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
Q lab- or even a power point would probably do what you're looking for~

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
One note on QLab though. You must have a Video license for it. Or at least rent it for the duration of your production run. It cost $1 a day to rent it and cost $250 for the license. It's not cheap. But, it was the best expense (as we have the full bundle license [Audio, MIDI, Video]) our theatre has ever spent.

QLab is also tricky at first for video. It takes awhile to get use to how things work. But, in my opinion, it is probably the best mac show control software there is. And, probably rivals most Windows software too.

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
I will agree with Q-lab as an option however, I would caution away from Powerpoint. I have had bad experience with PP crashing while trying to play video.  However, if a MAC is available, I will recommend Keynote (MAC equivalent of Powerpoint). It seems to be more stable (I am using it on my current tour and it has never crashed ... knocking on wood)

If you are going with a consumer DVD player... are you going black between cues or is the video always on?  If you go black and its a using a projector, I would cover the lense with a piece of cardboard or whatever.  Then add a few seconds of lead time to each track.  When you hit play, wait for the "play" display to go away and then uncover the projector.  Extremely low tech and not the most accurate method, but it will work in a pinch.

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
I have two "no money" options that I've used. One is a stagehand that manually covers the projecter output right at the moment the video stops (also known as "crew with cardboard", before you see the dreaded icon.  The other is a DMX controlled device that does the same thing with a little flag that comes down and can be programmed or triggered to go with the video end cue. If you're interested in option 2, let me know and I'll look up the device name/vendor. As I recall, it was a little hard to find.

Although all of the solutions mentioned above are preferable to this, sometimes your budget calls for a highly manual solution. (And I just noticed that ericjames already suggested this, so I'm being redundant!)

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
I have a couple of projector dowsers which I made using old CD drives. A switch soldered to the button, glue a cardboard disk into the tray, bobs your uncle.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Mac, how did you mount your dowsers to the projector?  I used flag-type dowsers for a show last fall and had a real problem with the rotating shadow line on our projection screens - didn't look like any video wipe any of us had ever seen.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Trak26

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
I think this is what Mac Calder means and it is very cleverhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeN8vWfPXM
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
I If you're interested in option 2, let me know and I'll look up the device name/vendor. As I recall, it was a little hard to find.

City Theatricals makes a nice dowser.

valence

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Q lab- or even a power point would probably do what you're looking for~

I wouldn't recommend powerpoint, it's not reliable enough.  We used powerpoint to run video for The Laramie Project and it crashed repeatedly.

I would also second the use of a dowser.  You can still see a projector projecting a black screen, so the cleanest way to end a video is with a douser.  We generally have a stage hand sitting up next to the projector, though I'm sure there's a more high tech solution...