Author Topic: Digital Show Binder  (Read 10323 times)

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
Digital Show Binder
« on: Aug 12, 2011, 11:18 pm »
So not referring to the posts about a digital prompt - I mean the other binder we keep that's full of schedules, calendars, rehearsal reports and paperwork from the departments along with deck sheets. Have you ever just kept one of these in an entirely digital format? Granted, having the hard copies in a binder that you can hand off to someone quickly is a benefit, but in our new era of Cloud fileshare options, etc - what is your feeling about this?

I've even had some actors do all of their work on the iPad. They only need a pen to fill out their contract, then they never need a highlighter or pencil during rehearsal, since they can take notes and mark up their script digitally.

I had debated going digital for the staged reading I'm working on right now, but I couldn't bring myself to do it just yet. And with the rise of theaters asking for SMs to give them a copy of their show files and prompt on CD due to diminishing storage space for show binders and prompts - maybe it is the wave of the future? What's your opinion?

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Digital Show Binder
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2011, 12:06 am »
The quick response: our department is mulling over the safest, most efficient way to do just that. I don't see a way to be entirely digital from start to finish, I don't trust technology enough just yet. I can see an actor going digital easily - if their information is lost, they can go to the SM as a backup. But who can the SM go to?

As great as digital technology is, the analog version still wins out in many respects. Paper and pencil never crash.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2011, 08:37 am »
Play all the "what if" games .... A notepad, printed check list and old fashion paper calling script is safe, trustworthy and reliable.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2011, 09:45 am »
Ignoring the digital calling script debate. . .     

I'm trying to imagine how you would even do that.   Are you going to issue everyone on the show an ipad (or similar)?   What does the crew use to run the show?    How do you jot down quick notes?  I consider myself a fairly fast typer and texter, but I can still scribble a note on a notepad much faster than I can think through typing it out. 

The reality is that all of us (or at least most of us) already use our computers to create all of the paperwork that we use.   So you can easily turn those files into a company when the show is over.  However, for practical purposes, I think you need to have paper versions to hand out to people for ease of note taking.     

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2011, 11:12 am »
I think that, for the foreseeable future, there will always be a need for some of these documents to be printed out. Checklists, running paperwork of all kinds, prompt scripts, etc.

I think having these files in a digital format is good, and accessible through something like DropBox- having quick access to something like a contact sheet from my cell phone can be useful. (Though, truth be told, I would rather just print one out and put it in my bag).

But I think as soon as you go completely digital, you're opening yourself up to the possibility that you might not be able to access that info at a moment's notice. For me, the first time I am standing in rehearsal and unable to get to the contact sheet (for whatever reason), it would make the whole venture not worthwhile.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2011, 12:46 pm »
I am very pro-computers - I automate many a process using them, I have one with me in one form or another wherever I go. I can type fairly fast, and I can even type fast enough that I wrote a speech for a friend on an iPad whilst sitting on a train and my mind did not get too far in front of me. But you know what? I can still jot down notes faster.

I keep digital records in databases for many things - when I was an SM, most of my forms were stored in databases - and if I was to SM again, I would probably keep my iPad with me to access these databases and rely on them heavily. Certain things though are handy to have in printed format. I keep contact lists in a printed format - because often I will hand my contact list to someone - I don't want to hand the rest of the show over at the same time. Emergency details, always printed - I don't want to run the risk of a database failure causing me to be unable to assist in an emergency. Cue sheets - these are also something that I will often hand out to forgetful crew members. Basically - I am happy to rely on "the cloud" (or rather my server sitting at home and the backup that exists on my laptop) for personal use. At the same time, I think it is important that certain documents exist and be handy on paper - not necessarily for you, but for other people.

MusicTheatreSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Stage management website
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA,
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2011, 01:29 pm »
I like having the ease of simplicity of having everything on my ipad. I can access and create all my reports, lists, run timers, etc all at once. I like the ipad also, because I can type on the screen and there is no "click-it-y" of my key board to be distracting. I can highlight line notes quickly and easily, I can make notes and email my self reminders. It's great. Now, all that being said...

I still have everything backed up digitally at home and I always create a show binder. I block on paper. it makes more sense to me to take blocking by hand. I print out all my paperwork and keep copies in my binder and then digital copies on my home computer. I have run a show using my ipad, where I put all the cues into the digital version of the script, and I can call cues and watch lines simply. If I lose any of that information, for whatever reason, the good old stand by is always there for me.

I do both because, as you said, some companies like digital copies and some want the binder. I do all my paperwork digitally and print it out anyway, so it's not much more effort for me to do both. The most time I spend is putting cues into a digital script, which is usually an hour at the most.

I don't think that paper copies of certain items will ever become obsolete in the stage management world. The impact of a technological fail would be too great and not everyone has or can afford to have an ipad backstage.

Deuteronomy75

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2011, 07:22 pm »
[...]I don't think that paper copies of certain items will ever become obsolete in the stage management world. The impact of a technological fail would be too great and not everyone has or can afford to have an ipad backstage.
There are two points in one sentence:
1. The impact of a technological fail would be too great.
OK - but there are a lot of industries and technologic processes that rely much more on technology than the run of a show or a rehearsal process. And they managed (with money and manpower) to setup reliable systems. Of course, it is not for free but the benefits are bigger (or seem to be bigger to those who use those kind of systems beginning from grocery store cash register up to medical care and nuclear power plant).
2. Not everyone has an (whatever electronic gadget) backstage.
Keep all data in one reliable source and feed all channels from this source in the way, the specific channel needs.
Rehearsal schedules ONLY in paper probably could work, but even small community theatre publish day-to-day schedules via Email and/or webpage. Cuelists on paper are nice - but at least the Stage machinery OP and Light OP will use this to generate their own electronic version (and they rely on their electronic system as well...). There is Light-Software available that can use an electronic textbook to place Light cues in...  I know, there are not yet standard formats available to publish into light/sound/machinery controls, so paper is the only "compatible" thing. 
There still will be places, where a printout is more handy - but even this paper copy must be fed from a reliable source. (And as a lot of "Paperwork" is done on a PC - why not use the electronic form as the reliable source and not a printout in your binder).

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2011, 09:39 pm »
The most time I spend is putting cues into a digital script, which is usually an hour at the most.

What size shows do you work on?

Anyway . . . .

Here's the thing, I am not handing my ipad to my assistant to update paperwork.  A lot of ASMs can't afford an ipad. You have to sometimes work at the lowest common technological denominator.

And still, anyone working on an ipad or laptop in rehearsal still rubs me the wrong way, they aren't paying attention - maybe I am old fashion - I am probably 20 years older then most of you.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2011, 12:53 am »
It's very interesting to see everyone's responses, and the different ways you all interpreted what I posted.

In my mind, I did not mean I would never printing anything out, and definitely not that my crew should have iPads or similar items to run shows on. I was simply stating that for my personal binder that I wouldn't print out schedules, calendars, etc and just keep them on my laptop/iPad/Dropbox etc. Of course, for anyone else, I would print.

And of course, you can gather my opinion on it as well, as I couldn't bring myself to make a digital show binder for a 2 week workshop. And definitely never a digital script on a workshop - as it is constantly changing and I don't get electronic updates.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

MusicTheatreSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Stage management website
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA,
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2011, 02:05 am »
The most time I spend is putting cues into a digital script, which is usually an hour at the most.

What size shows do you work on?

And still, anyone working on an ipad or laptop in rehearsal still rubs me the wrong way, they aren't paying attention - maybe I am old fashion - I am probably 20 years older then most of you.

The size show I work on varies. Right now I have a 15 person cast and I am doing a Shakespeare with quite a bit of tech. I am also not AEA yet, so I work smaller Chicago theatre and don't typically do shows with 500+ cues.  But I'm just fairly quick at putting my ques into the binder. Especially if I'm reading it off a cue sheet, it takes no time. I made digital stamps that I just insert into the script. Save a ton of time and is effective and easy to read.

And I type on my ipad because I am paying attention. My current director loves to have it in the space because he has used it to reference proper verse techniques and show videos to the cast, he can see the timer and I tale quick notes without being disruptive and he can turn and ask and I have an answer. I would understand it being more of an issue if the SM/ASM was using their tools to search the web and play around.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2011, 01:17 pm »
I think that as long as there is an Actor's Equity, there can't be a totally digital binder. You're always going to have to hand the cast a printed contact sheet at the beginning of the show.

While I have fully integrated technology into my process, there's no beating an index card with your cue sheet on it, tethered to your belt loop by tie line. Even as small as the iPad2 is, I can't imagine carrying it around backstage for all my needs of running a show. Sure you can tuck it into the back of your pants, but that's just awkward.

And while I understand what Matthew is saying about the lowest technological denominator, I disagree totally with the assessment that being on a laptop/iPad means you're not paying attention. I'm a proficient enough to type while not looking at the keyboard. I can keep my eyes on the deck and write my notes without ever looking at the screen or the keyboard. It takes me less time to type a note in my computer than it does to scribble it on a legal pad and then try to decipher what I wrote later. Since I started using my laptop/iPad in rehearsal I've found that the amount of times I couldn't decipher what my notes said/meant have gone down to 0%.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2011, 01:57 pm »
Nick, hats off to you . . . i too can type without taking my eyes off the deck.

But this has little to do with SM taking in information (although I think open computers lead to wandering through the internet . . .), but it's the perception of other people.

Some directors hate that when they say something, it is immediately typed in to the report.

I personally hate a group of stage manager sitting six feet away with lap top opens - I would rather have one person running the room, and the rest of the team working outside of the room.  It's a bit about keeping the energy going, but keeping the focus on the work in the room.   It's not about noise, but for example, try to have a Hamlet act "to be or not to be", but have another actor sitting against the wall texting . . . it's just doesn't feel right.

I think jotting down a note is fine during rehearsal, adding something to report, what I have a problem is the SMs that get deep into updating paperwork in the middle of rehearsal to the point they have no idea what is going on right before them.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2011, 05:03 pm »
Nick, hats off to you . . . i too can type without taking my eyes off the deck.

*squint* I see what you did there......not exactly sure it was necessary, but I see what you did there.

But this has little to do with SM taking in information (although I think open computers lead to wandering through the internet . . .), but it's the perception of other people.

Except for the times I'm serving my database over a wifi network, my internet is turned off. I understand that the perception of those who have been in the business longer than I have may resist the new wave of technology, but I find that the older methods are....I hesitate to say frowned upon, but I find that newer companies have been hesitant when I show up to their rehearsals without a laptop and just a legal pad and pen.

Some directors hate that when they say something, it is immediately typed in to the report.

I personally hate a group of stage manager sitting six feet away with lap top opens - I would rather have one person running the room, and the rest of the team working outside of the room.  It's a bit about keeping the energy going, but keeping the focus on the work in the room.   It's not about noise, but for example, try to have a Hamlet act "to be or not to be", but have another actor sitting against the wall texting . . . it's just doesn't feel right.

I think jotting down a note is fine during rehearsal, adding something to report, what I have a problem is the SMs that get deep into updating paperwork in the middle of rehearsal to the point they have no idea what is going on right before them.

I agree with all these statements for the most part.

I have worked with directors that dislike it when I copy down what they say as they say it, but I also check with them before I send out any report/email asking about it. It's still their process and if they like to spitball ideas out as "what ifs" during rehearsal, that's great. I just always check with them and delete anything they don't want in the notes, which is basically (I think) the same idea as what you're saying, except you do it in reverse. You add information to the final report, whereas I delete information not wanted. I may be wrong, and I apologize if I am not understanding your process.

I can't say which was is best to run a room where there is more than a stage manager and an ASM. But when I'm in a room by myself for a musical with 20-30 people, I'd rather have the technology open and available to me to make my life as easy as possible.

I wholeheartedly agree that getting lost in paperwork during rehearsal is unacceptable. That's what you do after rehearsal. Update the changes made that day. Bring the paperwork back to current after rehearsal. I'm not advocating the stage management team be on an island of technology and no one can reach them except via email or text. All I'm saying is that technology makes me personally a more efficient and organized stage manager.

I also agree that people who don't know when to turn off their technology during rehearsal is an issue, especially if being used for non-production related things. But if I'm using my laptop to take a note during rehearsal that's different because it's show related, and I think it should be permitted. Someone watching a youtube video on their phone on the sides of the room is rude and unacceptable.

But now at this point...we're arguing personal styles and we may never necessarily agree (though it does seem that at the core of it all, we have the same ideals of respect for one another in the rehearsal room but different interpretations of use of technology by a stage manager)

I guess as someone who learned the traditional ways of stage managing in college, but also being on the cusp of the wave of technology that has washed over theater, I prefer the technological methods over "old school" record keeping. I think they are cleaner and easier than older methods. There are obvious benefits to both, and obvious faults in both as well.

As to the topic of this thread: I do not think I would ever be truly comfortable with an entirely digital anything in this business. The odds of damage to the drive it's being stored on is too great. But that's why there are printers to take the digital media and make it a physical thing.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2011, 07:19 pm »
Yes, it is all about personal style, and how you pull it off.  ;-)