Author Topic: Cue Lights  (Read 6273 times)

David_McGraw

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • David J. McGraw
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Cue Lights
« on: Sep 08, 2006, 05:17 pm »
I am the PSM for the University of Iowa's Theatre Arts Department and we just received grant money for a new cue light system.  We've been using a home-made system for years but a grant in communication-based technology became available and we jumped on it. 

Would anyone recommend any of the new high-end cue light systems?  Ideally, we would like a system for all three of our main theatres, but we could also look at a more mobile system to share between spaces.  We have our eye on one system, but we are unsure how easily it will travel from tech table to booth on a regular basis (we might need to build a sturdier frame).  We are willing to be on the "bleeding edge" and try something completely new, especially since we will keep our old switch boxes.
SM-Sim, LLC, Home of
The Stage Manager Survey and STANDBY CUE 101
http://smsurvey.info
http://standbycue101.com

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Cue Lights
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2006, 06:46 pm »
There are quite a few call light systems out there.  My favorite is probably This one (not just because it is Australian Made) - Mainly because they can be wired up either in a daisy chain or in a star fashion - instead of like a lot of home made and cheaper cue light systems which require each cans station to be connected to the master station individually. You can also buy a computer interface for it (the RS232 interface) which is great in certain applications, because it allowed me to write simple applications to control cue lights - combining that with the relay box, and it was possible to do some great automation stuff.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2006, 03:45 am by Mac Calder »

David_McGraw

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • David J. McGraw
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2006, 10:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice - I like the acknowledge function from the operator's position!  Pressing buttons instead of throwing switches will take some time to adjust, especially on the big ol' musicals.  Is there a master "Go" button or a way to group individual lights?  I am just thinking of the times that I put a pencil over several switches and throw them together on one cue.

SM-Sim, LLC, Home of
The Stage Manager Survey and STANDBY CUE 101
http://smsurvey.info
http://standbycue101.com

Mac Calder

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2006, 12:08 am »
yes, you have the ability to assign lights to "group A" and/or "group B" - and those two groups have their own standby/go pannel.So what you can do (which is a good feature) is stand by a group at the same time, then go each individual station as required. I cannot remember if the groups go across master stations when linked (I have a feeling they do, but I am not sure)

butch

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2008, 01:50 am »
Mac, I am curious as to how much that cue lighting package runs. I was just recently tasked with making a report and comparison on different cue light systems to my producer. I found one that is pretty similar from a British company for about 2,900 US and was wondering how this one stacks up.

Also, do you run this system? I am interested to hear about the experience if you have. I am used to the old fashioned home built models, but if the producer wants to throw money at me, why not get something spiffy?

Mac Calder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2008, 10:36 am »
No too sure about price, never had to buy one.

I ran that system for close to two years, on and off, and apart from the membrane buttons (the major downside), it is a VERY nice system.

It's 14 or 8 channels, and if you need more, the masters can be linked together, so that the groups are the same across the board.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2008, 07:50 pm »
Augh. I'm jealous! But, yay! A new cue light system!