Author Topic: Creating unnumbered pages in a numbered script - Help!  (Read 5470 times)

catalinacisne

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
I am using Word 2007 to maintain an electronic copy of the Master Script of a production of Julius Caesar. Designers are using print-outs of the original script for referencing cues, but some large chunks of text that we cut from the original print-out has since been added back in. I want to keep the page numbers of the print-out and the e-script the same by having the "run-off" pages use letters (ex: A speech that ended on page 16 has been expanded, and now goes onto a new page of the electronic script. I want this new page to be 16a, so that page 17 in the e-script is still the same as page 17 in the original print-out.) There are already section breaks throughout the script for each new act and scene, and several of these "new" pages are in the middle of scenes - if I add a section break in the middle, it messes up the act/scene headings for the rest of the document.

To sum up, is there anyway I can make the automatic numbering SKIP a page in the middle of the document without creating a section break?

Thanks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Creating unnumbered pages in a numbered script - Help!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2009, 07:57 pm »
Yes . . . it's complicated though.

It's probably better just to add HARD PAGE NUMBERS in the script, not automated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

saladressing

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2009, 12:41 am »
Are your act/scene headings in the header or footer? If they are you could try unchecking the 'Link to previous' box (or something similar). I think you can use section breaks if you do that... that's what I did the last time.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2009, 12:31 pm »
Another option would be putting each lettered page into a separate document.  So you’d have “16A as of 8-2-09” or something like that as the file name, and could easily make the page number and text whatever you want it to be.  You can then still email the script, just with the extra page as another attachment.  You could even put a note on the original p.16 saying “see p.16A insert before going to p17”.  While it’s nice to have just one electronic document that’s fully up to date, I usually end up doing this, especially with new plays, because I don’t have the time to spend on getting the pagination right otherwise. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2009, 10:28 am »
I believe the option you want is break-->section-->next page, and then you have to do the same thing AFTER the inserted page.  So the new page becomes it's own section.  Under view--> header/footer, there is an option for "section break" that I believe allows you to deal with your headers and footers.

I figured this all out last year during a new play - it's hard to do when you're not actually trying to do it.  Just play around and figure out what works for you.

I'm also a fan of making lettered pages separate documents.

Are you mac or PC?  If Mac, sign up at the apple store to take a free workshop in Office and they might be able to help you.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!