Author Topic: PROPS: LED Throwies  (Read 4976 times)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
PROPS: LED Throwies
« on: May 18, 2010, 03:57 am »
My current show is a series of five vignettes, and the director wants to use a different sort of practical lighting for each piece: one will have paper lanterns, another will use string lights, etc.

One piece takes place in a forest at night, and we're at a loss as to how to do it, but I've been looking into making a ton of LED throwies. The magnets would be omitted, and they'd be strewn across the set during a movement piece between vignettes. (Once the vignette in question is over, we'd probably sweep them up and store them for tomorrow night.)

Does anyone have any experience working with throwies? I'm looking for general advice, although I also have two specific questions:
1) How long should I expect a throwie to last, in terms of hours? I've heard everything from 12 hours to 2-3 weeks, although I imagine it will vary greatly depending on how much we can spend on batteries.
2) It's possible to use a piece of card or plastic to serve as an on-off switch in order to extend battery life. Is this worth the effort? (Will re-inserting a hundred on-off tabs be a horrible, thankless task every night? Is it relatively smooth and quick?)

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PROPS: LED Throwies
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:40 pm »
I bought LED throwies from thinkgeek.com and they come with plastic tabs pre-inserted and they can be reinserted to turn them off. It's actually the only way to turn them off. We've been playing with then for six weeks and none of them have died yet, but they're rarely on for more than 20 minutes at a time. They come made with magnets, but they were really, really cheap. Sweeping them wouldn't be a problem and you should be able to reinsert plastic strips quickly, as long as you take care of the strips so they don't get bent!

deletedoldnotanymore

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: PROPS: LED Throwies
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:20 pm »
EL wire might be an interesting consideration.

riotous