Author Topic: Converting PDF Files Back To Word or Excel  (Read 10558 times)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
Converting PDF Files Back To Word or Excel
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 04:48 pm »
Two very useful web sites to know about:

http://www.pdftoword.com
http://www.pdftoexcelonline.com

If someone has sent you a file in .pdf format, you can use these sites to convert the file back to either Word, or Excel, so that you can work on the document yourself, or see how it was formatted.

You need to know which application the file was created in originally, and use the correct converter.

Also, this only works for files that were converted to .pdf, NOT scanned into .pdf.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: Converting PDF Files Back To Word or Excel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:23 pm »
cool - and totally useful thanks!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:00 pm »
Very useful!  Thank you!!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:53 pm »
This is interesting.  Many times I send out pdf files to ensure they are not edited after I send them out.  This totally changes that. I'm not sure how I would feel if someone took a file I had purposely made into a pdf and changed it into a file that could be edited- it seems very sneaky.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:59 pm »
This conversion technology has been around for a long time, but within applications one has to pay for.  Maybe this has given us the feeling of security when it comes to our files, assuming that no one will want to plunk down money for these programs, or be daring enough to pirate them.   But it has been a false sense of security, I'm afraid, especially now that the technology is gratis for all. Just another reason, I guess, to let everyone know about these sites. Then an educated choice can be made when sharing files.

This is interesting.  Many times I send out pdf files to ensure they are not edited after I send them out.  This totally changes that. I'm not sure how I would feel if someone took a file I had purposely made into a pdf and changed it into a file that could be edited- it seems very sneaky.
--Alan Alda

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:40 am »
This conversion technology has been around for a long time, but within applications one has to pay for.  Maybe this has given us the feeling of security when it comes to our files, assuming that no one will want to plunk down money for these programs, or be daring enough to pirate them.   But it has been a false sense of security, I'm afraid, especially now that the technology is gratis for all. Just another reason, I guess, to let everyone know about these sites. Then an educated choice can be made when sharing files.

That being said, I ran a few test with my paperwork and none of the excel converted to PDFs then back to excel worked very well (if at all, most came back with an "unable to convert" message).  The word to pdf then back to word worked pretty reliably, right down to correct font selections.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2010, 11:08 am »
Does anyone run a full version of Acrobat?  I'd be curious to see how or if it can convert .pdf files that have been digitally signed and encrypted.  I'll try to give it a shot next week when I am back in the office if nobody can try it sooner.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2010, 01:39 pm »
It can, provided you know the password used in encryption (or if only keyed - have the correct keys)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2010, 10:20 am »
Here's information about another tool for the job, coming out as a paid application for Mac OS 10.5 and higher. The Beta version is currently available for free.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/04/15/convert.pdf.to.word.excel.documents/
--Alan Alda

jrhaber

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:50 pm »
I have thought about this issue, having been sent many scripts by playwrights in pdf format because they used final draft or another program not commonly used, or the pdf was created to preserve pagination cross-platform. I recently did purchase a Mac program called Solid PDF to Word (also works on Excel), that seems to retain all formatting, including headers and footers, in the conversion from pdf to either Word or Excel, a bit miraculous and well worth the money if it's something you need more than a couple of times. It's certainly worth a look.
Julie

riotous