Author Topic: Condom reference??  (Read 20498 times)

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Condom reference??
« on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:58 pm »
I know there was a post earlier about condoms being used over mic packs. What was the reason again? I went to go see a show downtown Toronto the other night and my friend was in the show and I went backstage after and she told me (laughing of course) that they used condoms to cover the mic packs. What exactly does it do? I guess easier from slipping off or w/e but what are some other reasons? Thanks!!
Carrie

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Condom reference??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:58 pm »
A lot has to do with where the pack is stored. Often it is close to skin, due to lack of pockets. Sweat is corrosive, so the condom protects the beltpack.  The other reason is weather protection with outdoor performances.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Condom reference??
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:11 am »
Well there's that...

And what else is a good a theatre technician if not always prepared for any situation?  ;)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Mac Calder

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
Condom reference??
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:06 am »
ROFLMAO.

Too true.

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Condom reference??
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2006, 04:39 pm »
haha thanks alot
Carrie

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
uninitiated
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2006, 06:12 pm »
I will throw this out to anyone who is not familiar with condom use with sound - folks use unlubricated ones.  I say that because when I was on tour, I'd get to small high schools where they didn't know that there was such a thing.  You might consider them a high-end moisture barrier for a mic pack, particularly ones worn close to the body.  I've seen sandwich baggies used to  the same effect; while they are much cheaper they don't have the tight fit that makes condoms so effective.

-Centaura

DAE

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Condom reference??
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:43 pm »
Hi.

There is a sound company that actually sells cheap condom-like sheaths in bulk. They are MUCH cheaper then going to buy unlubricated condoms because they come in a large package and are not individual sealed.

There is a big disclaimer on them saying that they are not safe to use like actual condoms.

I can't remember the name of the company, but you can find them online.

Have Fun.

Mac Calder

• View Profile
Condom reference??
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:48 pm »
There is a company over here that buys the expired stock from pharmacies and the manufacturers and sells them at about a 10th of the normal price.

theaterbandit

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://
Condom reference??
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2006, 05:27 pm »
it's also possible to contact condom companies and recieve in bulk condoms that do not pass screening tests. That's where my college got theirs from. Good ol' trojan brand unlubricated not rated for sex condoms.

-Nick

groovygert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://groovygert.tripod.com/
friend
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2006, 01:37 pm »
i had a friend who worked at a local theater and had to go to wal-mart with the company credit card and buy super-sized, unlubed, condoms while with a few co-workers. i don't think the blue-haired lady at teh register knew what to think.

Mac Calder

• View Profile
Condom reference??
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2006, 05:08 pm »
Yep, that is the fun intern job. I frequently get called by one company, and we all know each other, and we are all fairly tallented members of our occupation, and there fore by extension, we all occasionally have interns. During one of the pre-tech tech meetings (No interns alowed) we dish out a whole bunch of embarasing jobs to the interns, just for fun, it is a great source of laughter.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
buying them
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2006, 05:15 pm »
Oh, I always had fun on tour going to the local Walmart and buying them out of their unlubricated condoms.  My favorite was the tour that we used whip cream as a prop - buy those two in bulk/combo and see what kind of looks you get.   That, and I'd get "knowing looks" - looking at me and my often male sound tech - from the local register clerk.  That was really fun the tour where my sound tech was a 43 year old black guy and I was a 25 year old white girl.  We got to the point where, down south, I'd go alone to a different register to pay.

I also loved the days when I was getting stuff for myself - so I'd have my personal transaction, and then I had the transaction on the company card - and the condoms would be on the company credit card.  I'd say that it was the company card to the clerk just to see what the reaction would be.  Got to keep yourself amused somehow on tour - especially when you're checking out with 10+extra large boxes of condoms.

-Centaura

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
Condom reference??
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2006, 11:05 pm »
My boyfriend, who's a sound designer and often works at a local community once got this email from the executive director:

"Two 2-gross boxes of unlubricated condoms on order.  There are only two professions in which I would ever send an email telling you this.  I'm glad mine's theatre."  

=)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ESM_John

Condom reference??
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2006, 08:02 am »
Being a former sound guy at my high school, i know first hand what can happen without them. Sweat got into a mic and not only did it short out but continued to cause wireless feedback that we had to reset the system because of, what a nightmare.

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek
  • Affiliations: None... but open to invitations!
Condom reference??
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 12:40 pm »
I was talking to the sound engineer at my theater, and he is against condoms in favor of sandwich bags.  His argument was that sweat wicks down the cable, still reaching the pack.
"At three minutes past eight, you must dream."
~Sir Ralph Richardson

Go to http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek NOW!

riotous