Author Topic: Condom reference??  (Read 20494 times)

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Condom reference??
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 07:05 pm »
I work at an arts high school and recently approached the school accountant to see if the county office will pay for the condoms next year as an "instructional material."  After she turned bright red, I explained the purpose for mics and promised I'd write something out if the county office needed more information.

She still hasn't gotten back to me.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Condom reference??
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 09:42 am »
Why is it important to cover the mic with them? How does it damage the mic pack?
Carrie

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Condom reference??
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 12:32 pm »
Why is it important to cover the mic with them? How does it damage the mic pack?

Go back and read the beginning of this thread.  Sweat and water on mic packs equals bad.

One example from earlier in the thread.

Being a former sound guy at my high school, i know first hand what can happen without them. Sweat got into a mic and not only did it short out but continued to cause wireless feedback that we had to reset the system because of, what a nightmare.

Erin

Didaskalos

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Condom reference??
« Reply #18 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:44 am »
Alternative to latex:  denim!  A costumer of mine once came up with an idea to effectively hide transmitters under dresses.  If you have someone who is clever with a sewing machine, you can make little pouches out of sturdy cotton fabric such as denim, sized to fit your transmitters.  Sew a couple of belt loops on the back, a small flap over the top with a velcro closure, and cut a little hole in the bottom so the antenna wire can dangle.  Then you can cinch it to your body with a simple elastic "belt."  Absorbent, washable, reusable, comfortable.  And if your actor really sweats a lot, you can always wrap plastic or another layer of fabric around the transmitter before you drop it into the pouch.  Only drawback we have found is that on the rare occasion that a battery starts dying in mid-show, it does take a few more seconds to change it out since the battery hatch is located on the bottom of our Shure transmitters.  If you would like to see a picture of one of ours, PM me and I'll send you a photo.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2006, 12:47 am by Didaskalos »
Do it right the first time;  do it right every time.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #19 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:31 pm »
If you are going to point out every possible thing that could go wrong with any moisture control method your time and money would better off spent buying or at least fund-raising for water-resistant bodypacks. At least one large company now makes them.

Lectrosonics:
http://www.lectrosonics.com/wireless/400/mm400b.htm
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

kjdiehl

• Permanent Resident
  • The Turtle Moves.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2006, 10:03 pm »
On a tour where we hired local children at every venue for the show's big scenes with ensemble kids:

On closing night in a city, one of the children, (maybe 11y/o,) came up to me while standing by for her bow with a condom full on rolled over hand all the way down to her wrist, plucking at the latex to make it snap and squeak, and said, "Hey, Kris, what's this for?" as innocent as could be. I almost died. I barely managed to choke out "It's for sound." But god, how I wanted to tell her to take it home and ask her mom. Thank god I didn't.
-Kris Diehl, AEA SM

"Somewhere in the city there's a stage manager waiting,
standing in the shadows with a clipboard in hand..."

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2006, 11:09 pm »
Kids and condoms - such fun.

Picture the scene - School performance. Skeleton crew - me as SM and Sound, along with a bubble boy and a child rangler (aka ASM in charge of getting kids on stage at the right times). Child comes up to me.

Child: "Do you have a thread and needle please?"
Me: "Sure, in the second draw (of my monster road case) there is a small box of sewing gear"
Child: "Thankyou"

15 seconds later
Child: "Mum, what are these?"

And then a small warning light flashes in front of my very eyes. Inside that same compartmented box, I was storing 4 doz. unlubed condoms in 8 individual compartments labled "Monday Night", "Tuesday Afternoon" etc, each with a date on them, and of course the "Emergency" compartment was there as well. Well that was fun to explain to the red faced Mum...

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2006, 06:11 pm »
When I was working at a Dance Festival, we had a company that required the use of 8 lavs for a world premiere. Having never used wireless mics before, it was very entertaining explaining to their Manager they needed to buy unlubricated condoms. It was even more entertaining to see her walking down the hall yelling into her cellphone because of bad reception while a group of non-theatre people was touring the building...:)

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2006, 04:14 pm »
Never have I used more Condoms on mic packs then when we did Singin' in the Rain.  We actually rigged up a great little pack with wet suit material for the guy playing the lead as he spent more time in the water than anyone.   

Then at final dress the director decided that the ENTIRE CAST should come out for curtain calls under the rain effect.   Which meant that the 11 other mics we had rented were now going to be exposed and we didn't have enough time to create 11 more pack holders.   So, out came the condoms from my kit... yea I got a look or two on that. 

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:48 pm »
What can we say.   Not only can they protect from pregnancy and std's they can actor/director proof Mics.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2006, 05:49 pm »
If only it was that simple!!  :(
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

shatbox

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:55 pm »
It's funny that Mac Calder mentioned it as an intern job. I'm in Philly doing an internship show. It's funny walking into a Riteaid.
"Could you point to the med tape?'
"and the baby oil?"
"and elec tape?"
"and is the 12 pack the largest you have?"
"Oh, ok."
" you know what? Where are the sandwich bags?"

Also, condoms are quick, but sandwich bags do a better job. On packs. That is. Condoms are great when you have to swap out batteries or the pack during the show.
Seek those with standards and meet them. Exceed them. Move forward. Set the standard.
iacosta@phillytheatreco.com

boolabella

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:21 am »
latex medical gloves also work...
Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.”

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:23 pm »
I remember the first time I saw the unlubed condoms in my college tech storage room. It was just after a show and I was going in to double check the light board was off and the word "TROJAN" caught my eye. My first thought is some of the students hid them there for their normal purpose. Then I saw unlubed and the sound gear and figured it out. I was so glad I was by myself when I had that thought or that would have been embarrassing
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

Vsable

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:19 pm »
Anybody know the name of the company that makes the "cheap latex mic sheaths"?
JD Michael