Author Topic: Clock/Timer recommendation  (Read 13158 times)

Jasper

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Clock/Timer recommendation
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 01:39 am »
Can anyone recommend a good countdown timer and clock for a stage managers desk? This would need to be retrofitted...

Thanks

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Clock/Timer recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:43 am »
I use a software program called multi-track stopwatch.  It's a simple computer program that has 10 different stopwatches.  You can set each one individually and time independently.  What I do is set one to count down from half hour, one to count down at intermission(s), and then one to count up for each act, one for show time, one for run time.  It may seem excessive but it's time to do the report at night you just read right off your screen.  Best of all it's free!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2007, 11:45 am »
Hmm....I started using a simple digital kitchen timer that counts up and down.  It was $15 at bed bath and beyond.  My only complaint is that it doesn't have a lighted screen, but under the light on my desk it still shows up fine. 

It's this model:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13721254

I highly recommend it.  the one I wanted was an ETC model to be mounted on the "dashboard" of my workbox, but it was about $1000....or more even.  I can't remember. 

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

kokobear

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2007, 03:40 pm »
I use a software program called multi-track stopwatch.  It's a simple computer program that has 10 different stopwatches.  You can set each one individually and time independently.  What I do is set one to count down from half hour, one to count down at intermission(s), and then one to count up for each act, one for show time, one for run time.  It may seem excessive but it's time to do the report at night you just read right off your screen.  Best of all it's free!

Do you happen to have a link to it?

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SFBaySM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2007, 03:32 am »
I use a simple digital clock from the 99cent store as my official 'show time' clock and a regular stopwatch for everything else.  works fine for me!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:08 am »
I've been using the MegaWatch program lately (the one that also gives you Equity breaks), which has 2 timers in it too.  I will say however that there's nothing quite like having a stopwatch for intermission so that you can walk around....I sometimes set both, so both I can have it with me but others can see what's left without tracking me down.  One theatre I work at has a major "control center" for the SM that has computer-monitor-sized stopwatches for all the crew to see.

The MegaWatch link is at http://www.geocities.com/willpickens/ under "Flash Projects" - available for both PC and Mac (and I've used both platforms).

Erin

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2007, 10:59 pm »
I've been using the MegaWatch program lately (the one that also gives you Equity breaks),
The MegaWatch link is at http://www.geocities.com/willpickens/ under "Flash Projects" - available for both PC and Mac (and I've used both platforms).

Erin

Wow.  That is *amazing.*
And here i've been in the stone age with three stopwatches and a kitchen timer.

In my defense, the kitchen timer does have two clock functions that can time up or down, so i can set timer 2 to 10 minutes and then have a horrid alarm sound at the end of a ten minute break....everyone comes back pretty fast.....(only used in dire circumstances.)

theother erin

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2007, 09:27 pm »
The "mega watch 4" is so amazing. I have been looking for a timer for my Mac and this one is so great. This will be a huge help to me and others. Thanks for the link guys!
~pay it forward~

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:14 pm »
One of my favorite portrayals of an SM in film is Eileen Atkins' performance in the film version of The Dresser. She wears a simple watch on a cloth ribbon, pinned to her sweater. Whatever happened to math?

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:37 pm »
In a few weeks, I'm going to try to write a SM timer program for Mac, and see if I can't get my dad (who is a Windows software dev) to write a similar program for Windows. I'll also be porting it over to the iPhone/iPod Touch when the SDK (software developer kit) for it comes out in February, so let me know if there are any specific features you'd like to see.
-David

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:03 am »
One of my favorite portrayals of an SM in film is Eileen Atkins' performance in the film version of The Dresser. She wears a simple watch on a cloth ribbon, pinned to her sweater. Whatever happened to math?

Takes time.    *rimshot*

lilmonki in black

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:20 am »
In a few weeks, I'm going to try to write a SM timer program for Mac, and see if I can't get my dad (who is a Windows software dev) to write a similar program for Windows. I'll also be porting it over to the iPhone/iPod Touch when the SDK (software developer kit) for it comes out in February, so let me know if there are any specific features you'd like to see.

Possibility of getting it for Palm OS as well?  I have a simple stopwatch program on my Treo, but yours sounds like it'd be more fun. :)
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

We the willing led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:03 pm »
Takes time.    *rimshot*

Nice!

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2007, 08:18 am »

Possibility of getting it for Palm OS as well?  I have a simple stopwatch program on my Treo, but yours sounds like it'd be more fun. :)

I'll see if my dad has any experience with Palm OS. I have no platform to test it on, but he might know of a simple way to do it.
-David

riotous