Author Topic: Clear-Com Headsets  (Read 5175 times)

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Clear-Com Headsets
« on: Mar 27, 2012, 07:44 am »
Looking for feedback on the Clear com cc-25.. I'm considering an over the ear headset rather than a headband. My audio dept. head says he can rewire whatever I bring him to be compatible since this only comes with a mini-jack. Thoughts?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Clear-Com Headsets
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:04 am »
I'd be wary of that - Clear-Com specifically states the CC-25 is for use with the RS-600 beltpacks only.  Conversely, they do sell the CC-27 which is another over the ear model and comes pre-terminated with the more typical 4-pin XLR connector. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2012, 10:39 am »
How I would rate the CC-25 largely depends on the environment it is being used in. Back stage where I might be running around I would rate it 0 out of 10. In a relatively quiet booth sitting behind a console, probably a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Plantronics make the best over-ear one IMO - the SHS1720-01

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2012, 11:43 am »
I agree with KMC. End User Mods to fit Clear Com tend not to work in my experience. And in my experience with selling the products....if they say it's only for one belt pack, it's really only meant for that belt pack. Now that being said, they do sell adaptors to some of their mini jacks to fit regular XLR connections. So maybe that's what your audio guy was talking about. But if they are talking about ripping connectors off.....I'd stay away from that.

CC-25 isn't one of the more popular choices I've seen come across my desk. Even if you're working on a straight drama it will be difficult to hear backstage. If you're doing a musical or dance show even some of the Clear Com Single Muff sets can't cancel out enough noise to make them useable backstage.

I got to play around with one during a Clear Com demo at one point. The ear piece is comfortable to me (but each person's ears are obviously different) and I felt the mic was flexible enough that I never felt like it was too far back or too far forward on my face. But I didn't use it in a show setting. Just in the show room.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2012, 12:19 pm »
Just checked my Clear-Com dealer price sheet for some more info on both of the products.  Again on the price sheet the CC-25 is clearly intended only for the RS-600 series beltpack.  Additionally, the CC-27 is slightly cheaper.  $148 list price versus $153 for the CC-25.  You should be able to get either one significantly lower than list price online. 

I'd also definitely recommend Mac's suggestion of checking out some other options. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2012, 08:14 pm »
Yes, you guys are right! Checked again with my audio dept head and it's a no go on the cc-25. He let me try a cc-27 for the day. While I loved it at first, I found the earbud to be too large and by the end of the day it was causing some mild pain and discomfort since I had to push it in with some force after it fell out twice.
So, ideally I'd like something similar but with an ear bud, or small muff similar to the cc-26. The plantronics looks good but disappointed it doesn't have an adjustable gooseneck for the mic.. and I'd need to read some reviews or try it.
Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Post Merge: Mar 27, 2012, 08:18 pm
Looking for feedback too on the Eartec Co CYB4XLRF    How good can it be for $55.??

Post Merge: Mar 28, 2012, 11:43 am
Just ordered the eartec cyber for clearcom. Looks like it's the best alternative to the cc-27 which was too big for my ear and made it sore after a few hours. I found on another stream, where the cyber got great reviews.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2012, 11:43 am by dee4156 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2012, 07:20 pm »
I also ordered an Eartec Cyber during my last show.  Used it all through tech for this show and it worked great.  Much more comfortable than traditional headsets and I like that it rests behind my head and not on top.  It only starts to get uncomfortable if I have to wear it for a very long act - around 2 hours or more.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2012, 09:11 am »
I realize that this thread was dedicated to a different headset, but I didn't think this needed to end up in it's own thread.

Clear Com debuted their new headset design at the NAB conference in Vegas. The CC-300 and CC-400. It looks similar to the old chunk headset we've all grown to despise (we all know the Clear Com Headache!), but this is adjustable and looks far more comfortable. But that in and of itself isn't enough that I'd want to post about it here.

The most "bitchin'" feature (as it were): How many times have you wished (oh wished!) that when you pushed your mic up to your forehead to talk to someone backstage or in the house during tech that your mic would just turn off so no one else hears the conversation.....Clear Com heard your prayers! Push the Mic up (even when your mic is locked on) and it will mute. Bring it back down: Unmute.

That, to me, is a really awesome user friendly feature.

Here's a link to the article my current company tweeted out about it: http://blog.broadcastengineering.com/briefingroom/2012/04/12/clear-com-introduces-new-cc-300-and-cc-400-headsets-at-the-2012-nab-show/

riotous