Author Topic: Cleaning Plexiglass Mirrors  (Read 10456 times)

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Cleaning Plexiglass Mirrors
« on: Sep 09, 2007, 05:09 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good method to clean plexiglass mirrors that doesn't leave them all streaky?  We've been using Windex (and the little Windex cleaning cloths, but that just seems to leave them streakier than when we started.  A little dish soap in water with a rag didn't cut it either.  Does anyone have any ideas?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Cleaning Plexiglass Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2007, 05:27 pm »
Contact a plexi maker

there is specific clearner for plexiglass.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:33 pm »
On my last show, we used windshield wiper fluid with a squeegee and had pretty good results.  The crew had the windshield wiper fluid in a spray bottle and would spray it on the plexi then carefully go over the plexi with a squeegee.  They had a soft rag to touch-up the particularly troublesome spots. 

Best of luck to you.  Be sure to let us know what you find works best for you. 

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2007, 11:34 pm »
Windex is actually bad to use, as in it will eventually damage the plexi.  (And frankly, I'm not a big fan of those cloths; I don't know what it is but they do seem to leave more streaks, even on regular glass.)
Hardware stores have plexi cleaner.  Do not use paper towels (as it will scratch), use cloth.  You can find some good microfiber or terry cloths in the automotive section.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:40 am »
(And frankly, I'm not a big fan of those cloths; I don't know what it is but they do seem to leave more streaks, even on regular glass.)

Yeah, that's what we've found.  They were in the theatre's supplies, so we gave them a try.

I think we'll be picking up some plexi cleaner tomorrow, so they look really good for press.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2007, 05:33 pm »
The crew had the windshield wiper fluid in a spray bottle. 

Just make sure that if the cleaner is transferred to a different bottle than it was originally shipped in, it is VERY clearly labeled as what it is and whether it is toxic.  This will prevent anyone from thinking that it is just blue Kool-Aid, and drinking it.  (Sad, but unfortunately it happens all to often, especially with kids).

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

stagename

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: othello
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:54 pm »
 :o Windex breaks down plastic, eventually discolouring and cracking it.  Very nasty.
I use vinegar and a page of newspaper.
i am still learning....
~michelangelo

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2007, 01:39 am »
So an update:  We tried many different substances, with a nice soft rag.  The first plexi cleaner we got (something really generic sounding...plexi clean?) was awful.  It seemed to do no better than the windex, which we realize was completely wrong for the job, yes.  Buffing it with hot water helped more.  Finally one of our actresses saw us struggling, and suggested this plexi cleaner called Brillianize that she uses for these chalk art pieces she does (because it cuts the static, and the chalk stays off the plastic of the framing).  It works fantastically.  Since we started using it, on press night on Monday, we've had no trouble with streaks.  Thank you all for your input.

riotous