Author Topic: Camera Relay Software  (Read 4707 times)

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Camera Relay Software
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:21 pm »
Howdy SMers,

Apologies if you've seen this post on other technically inclined forums.

I've had a good look on the forums and so far have turned up no dice, so I'm hoping you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm looking for a piece of software that can take a live camera feed from the stage, and then overlay it with show call information, such as item numbers, times, running order, etc, for redistribution to the venues CCTV system.

From memory it was a Mac app that could run off a Mini, but I don't recall any other info.

I could have sworn I bookmarked it on the forums but I can't for the life of me find the link again.

Any help or other suggestions appreciated!
Cheers,
Jem.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Camera Relay Software
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2013, 12:13 am »
Can't help with the exact bit of software - it sounds like some live titling software or a digital signage system.

The easiest way I could think of doing it would be using 2 devices (1 computer & a switcher or 2 computers) - One computer is used to output the text, it goes into the second device (either a PC or better yet into a switcher) and the background is keyed out and placed over the video.

Are you trying to integrate into existing infrastructure, or building from new?

If you are building from new, my suggestion is as follows:

Get an ATEM Television Studio from Black Magic Design. It is a really cheap and really powerful little switcher which will live key. It also outputs live encoded video on USB - which may come in handy for streaming this feed around the venue - potentially any computer plugged into your network could become a monitor. You can run in up to 4 cameras on SDI, run a laptop in either via VNC (ethernet) or via HDMI et voila.

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2013, 05:25 pm »
Thanks Mac,

I actually used the black magic on a gig not too long ago — I'll look into if it fits this application.

Ideally we were looking at integrating into existing infrastructure — we already have SD video being routed across the building, so interrupting that feed before it gets split out is the ideal.

Still can't find this software though. I'm wondering if it was but a dream………
Cheers,
Jem.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:33 am »
It would help to know what the existing video system includes.  When you say "SD" are you talking about SD-SDI or analog video at an SD resolution? 

The Black Magic Design piece Mac mentions is a really powerful unit for the price point, but you should have a look at the tech specs prior to moving forward.  The ATEM Television Studio is a digital unit and will not accept an analog signal.  It is SMPTE 259M and 292M compliant so you would need to have either an SD-SDI or HD-SDI signal coming in from your CCTV system. 

If your entire CCTV system is analog I would recommend looking towards another solution as opposed to a/d converters in to the switch then d/a converters back out.  Something quick and dirty like this would do the trick for an analog CCTV system - just throw a composite in and out of the unit and use a computer for the overlay.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2013, 09:23 am by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2013, 04:31 pm »
Hi Jempage. I think the software you're thinking of is called CamTwist (http://camtwiststudio.com) but if it isn't it should be able to do what you described.

Hope this helps.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:01 am »
Hi Jempage. I think the software you're thinking of is called CamTwist (http://camtwiststudio.com) but if it isn't it should be able to do what you described.

Hope this helps.

Looks like the OP's last active date on the site was November 30, hopefully he comes back to check in soon.  The software in your post looks to be along the lines of what Jempage was originally referencing, so thanks for sharing that.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:23 am »
Thanks so much JThermane, that's going to work pretty well for our purposes — we'll muck around with some layouts and text files and what not.  The Clock and Countdown features will come in pretty handy.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Jem.