Author Topic: BITE LIGHTS!  (Read 9900 times)

hairqween

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Wardrobe/Hair Supervisor - Syracuse Stage - 10th Season - Miracle Worker
  • Experience: Professional
BITE LIGHTS!
« on: Nov 03, 2010, 10:23 am »
Hey all - I cannot find my favorite bite light out there. I am afraid they might not be making them anymore - the Eveready Squeeze light.  I called them and they said they still make them, but I can't get them anywhere. I have found them online, but in the past, the lights are already shot and half as bright as they should be. I need to be able to have a hands free quick off and on light. Bite lights are the best and this one has a little rubber piece that is gentler on the teeth! Most new led's have the bulb on the same side as the chain which is not good when you have to quickly cram the light in your mouth. Mag lites are too cumbersome - even the small ones need hands. What do your wardrobe folks use?

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
Re: BITE LIGHTS!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2010, 03:44 pm »
I know many wardrobe folks who have switched away from the bite light over to the head-lamps.  One said they made the switch after doing a show with an onstage (behind a set piece) change that was particularly tight on space and time and they nearly had their teeth knocked out and the bite light jammed down their throat. 

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2010, 05:43 pm »
Manhattan Wardrobe Supply to the rescue!

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/bitelites.html

I've always ordered my bite lights through them and never been disappointed (they're cheap so if one dies/gets ruined its not the end of the world)

Also just seeing on the website they have one that's a little ear piece which I would love if I was still doing wardrobe :)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:04 pm »
I'd add a second for the head lamp, most even have a red LED setting so you won't blow everything up backstage with light!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

hairqween

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Wardrobe/Hair Supervisor - Syracuse Stage - 10th Season - Miracle Worker
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2010, 10:25 pm »
Hmmm - I might try the ear light. I really like the bite lights because as I am finishing up the last snap,hook,zip etc.  in a quick change, I can just open my mouth and, hands free, the light falls out and is off instantly. I usually have my arms full of clothes, wigs etc. and couldn't turn off an actual switch as quickly, it would stay on longer than necessary while I am moving around backstage. 

NomieRae - Thanks! I'll check the site out.

BwaySub

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:44 am »
I saw this topic and wanted to weigh in on it. 

I work on two shows where Bite Lights are used predominantly by the wardrobe staff. However, in a few select cases, an ear light or headlamp is used.  Here is what I've noticed from this.

If you use a headlamp or or ear light, you MUST remember to turn it off!  Many times, the crew doesn't remember right away, and there's a light flashing around backstage before they realize it's theirs.  Obviously the advantage here, in a big way, goes to bite lights.  If you need to turn your head to talk to someone, or look at someone else, you can instantly douse your bite light, but you can't always do that with your headlamp or earlight.   A lot of times, staff is talking to the actor they are dressing and they look up to look them in the face and blind the actor, who needs to go on right away. 

I also recommend if you go with a headlamp or earlight that you filter it in some way, either red or blue.  This helps a lot when it gets inadvertently flashed around. 

If how you look is important, go with the earlight, they are much less noticeable.  I know two dressers who use headlamps, and everyone is always teasing them with, "So how was work in the mine today??"

Finally, even if you go with a headlamp or earlight, you should STILL have a bite light on a chain around your neck.  You never know when it's going to just be easier to go back to the bite light in an emergency.

Mark

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:22 pm »
Another option I just encountered is reading glasse with lights built in.  The SM of the other show I'm in rep with found them at her local drug store.  They look something like these: http://www.panthervision.com/store/led-lighted-reading-glasses, but she said they were about $10.
LED lights, so they're noce and bright, close up, but don't throw that far.  Could probably be gelled, and would guarantee that you're illumination whatever you're looking at.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

riotous