Author Topic: Backstage pants  (Read 12942 times)

margaretheff

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Margaret A. Heffernan Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: EMC, University of Northern Colorado, USITT
  • Current Gig: Production Assistant, New Repertory Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Backstage pants
« on: Oct 01, 2012, 11:34 pm »
Hello all! I'm a college stage management student and looking to invest in a good pair of black, backstage pants. I'm wanting a pair of black cargo pants, but they are hard to find for short women because they are usually carried in the men's section. Plus, I'm in college and without transportation, so I've been trying to look online. Does anyone (women especially) have any suggestions? Of either what kind of pants/where to look? Thanks!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Backstage pants
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2012, 02:40 am »
My go-to favorites as a 5'4" slightly pudgy woman are Lee side elastic black jeans. They are totally "mom jeans" but I have been wearing them since the late 90's. I usually hide the elastic waistband under a 1" black belt and nobody's the wiser. No back pocket on them but 3 front pockets. I can personally deal without a back pocket if it means I can breathe and my pants stay up regardless of what I hang on the belt.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2012, 08:28 am »
When I was SMing I had a few pair of black BDUs (Battle Dress Uniform) I picked up from an Army/Navy surplus store.  I wore them for 4-5 years and they held up amazingly well, though I guess that shouldn't be a surprise given what they're designed for.  They'd still be great, but I outgrew them (and not in a good way  :( ).

You may run into issues with length as the sizes don't come in many options (I think S, M, L only), but if you have access to your costume shop perhaps you can simply hem whichever pants you decide to go with? 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2012, 09:12 am »
I've been wearing the same Dickies multi use pocket pants for years. I love them they are extremely durable, fit well, and have that extra side pocket where you can fit things like flashlight, pens, small notebooks, etc. they have outlasted any pants I have bought afterwards.  They make women's pants specifically so you should be able to find a good pant on the Dickies website.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2012, 06:06 pm »
My favorite go-to pair of black pants are actually just a pair of basic black slacks from Kohl's. They have them in khaki and several other colors too, and always seem to be out of the way against a back wall. They can take a lot of abuse, but they don't have an excess of pockets.

My favorite pair of cargo pants are female EMT pants. They cost a little more but the pockets on them are unbelievable. You can find them all over the internet if you just google women's or female EMT pants.
Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2012, 12:40 am »
My favorite go-to pair of black pants are actually just a pair of basic black slacks from Kohl's. They have them in khaki and several other colors too, and always seem to be out of the way against a back wall. They can take a lot of abuse, but they don't have an excess of pockets.

My favorite pair of cargo pants are female EMT pants. They cost a little more but the pockets on them are unbelievable. You can find them all over the internet if you just google women's or female EMT pants.

My favorite backstage pants are also from Kohl's! They're the Kohl's Junior's  department store brand, so they're pretty cheap, too. I have a difficult time buying pants that fit in the first place, so add to that the struggle of finding women's black pants that are made of a durable fabric and aren't bedazzled and you've got yourself a dilemma. I bought my first pair of them a few years ago and despaired of finding them again when they got worn & faded, but I finally found them again and bought 3 pairs!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

AKBowman

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2012, 12:58 am »
I love those too! I always make sure and buy the long. I'm 5'8" and the regular length is too short. They don't have cargo pockets, but I do ok with my hooking stuff to my belt or putting it in my back pockets. newbielink:http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/juniors/bottoms/pants/PRD~344547/SO+Stretch+Twill+Pants.jsp [nonactive]

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2012, 04:30 pm »
AKBowman, that is totally them! And you're right about having to get long's too. I wonder if anyone's told Kohl's they have the industry standard for SM pants...
Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

catalinacisne

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2012, 09:03 pm »
I have a couple pairs of Dickie's Women's Relaxed Cargo Pant, which get the job done. They don't do me any favors in the fit department, but since I'm only wearing them when I'm running shows backstage or repping sets, I don't mind. They do sit higher on my waist than I'm used to, with the button almost on top of my belly button, but once I got used to that they were fine. The cargo pockets perfectly fit a run sheet folded into quarters, a writing utensil, and a flashlight. The smaller side pocket is great for a multi-tool. And they hold up really well; I've had the same two pairs in rotation for over three years! Sizes run small in the waist.
http://www.dickies.com/womens-clothing/womens-pants/Womens-Relaxed-Cargo-Pant-FP777.jsp

margaretheff

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Margaret A. Heffernan Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: EMC, University of Northern Colorado, USITT
  • Current Gig: Production Assistant, New Repertory Theatre
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2012, 05:43 pm »
Thanks so much everyone! The Dickies pants are looking like the perfect choice for me!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2012, 07:55 pm »
Seconding Dickies Girl! I'm 5 ft 2 and they are my favorite (the 5-pocket bootcut and the classic skinny in particular). They also have sales pretty often online.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2012, 02:47 pm »
Reading this thread just now inspired me to check out Dickies and right this minute the Women's Multi-Use Pocket Pants are on clearance for $9.00. http://www.dickies.com/womens-clothing/womens-pants/Womens-MultiUse-Pocket-Pant-FP226.jsp I don't know for sure, but I would guess that putting the item on clearance means they're eliminating this style. I mean that's usually what clearance means right, that they won't be carrying this anymore? So snatch 'em up while you still can!

MOHprod

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2012, 05:35 pm »
511tactical.com then choose the model you prefer.

TheWiseTurtle

• New to Town
  • "Live through this, and you won't look back."
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance - Taffety Punk
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:40 pm »
Ooh, good call on the BDUs and EMT pants; I'd never considered those. I have a pair of black Levi's with some awesome pocket space. My go-to pair for a few years was a pair of Dickies I got when I was working at UPS. The only thing I could not fit in my pants in some capacity was the lighting instruments. Everything else I could stow on these somewhere.
Needs more gaff tape.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:20 pm »
I like the Dickies college pants for girls. They have two back pockets, 2 front pockets, and a small hammer strap.

Honestly, and this is going to make me seem like a crazy nerd, but the gadget leg holster from think-geek is amazing. It holds everything you may need. But a cheaper version is a server apron. You can hold everything, and it keeps all your stuff out of your way while you work. It takes the stress off of finding the perfect pair of pants off of your thoughts, too :)

riotous