Author Topic: Any Stage Managers use LiveScribe Pens?  (Read 5282 times)

VEsherry

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Any Stage Managers use LiveScribe Pens?
« on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:41 am »
I'm a college student and have been using the LiveScribe pen and books for my classes and one day while I was in Shakespeare class I thought about using it for rehearsals and notes. What I love about the pen is that it holds all the information you write down and when you plug it into a computer, BAM! You have photocopies of what you wrote on your computer. I also know there is an app you can buy with the pen that will change it all to text.
The only downside I see is that you HAVE to use the special paper/notes books in order for it to work, but with something like this pen would you as a Stage manager use it for a production use?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Any Stage Managers use LiveScribe Pens?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:43 am »
it seems like it would be a neat toy, but I doubt much that I write down live would I want to transfer - since most of my written notes are short hand, for a longer note/explanation I will add to a report.

I am sure some stage manager could get a huge kick out it . . . and could find several uses.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:13 am »
I'm not sure I'd use something like this in my everyday work routine.  The idea and concept are great, however to me this device is a bit cost prohibitive.  It looks like their cheapest new pen runs around $120, while if you want anything more than the most basic functionality and storage capacity you can pretty quickly find yourself North of $200.  At that point you're fairly close to tablet+stylus territory, which gives you note taking plus loads of other functionality. 

I do see they have some "refurbished" pens for around $70, so that could definitely be an option. 

Has anyone else used this device?  Thoughts?  Would love to hear from some others on the subject.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:20 pm »
I own one that I used in college for classes. I considered it for some stage management use but never got around to figuring out how I could use it on a day to day basis. The best use I had for it was production meetings I could jot quick notes about things and it keeps all the audio from the meeting so I can go back and get all the details (or the third, fourth, and final decision about something). Especially useful if I am the only one taking notes. I always ask people at the beginning of the meeting if it is okay.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:55 pm »
Could be a fun toy - but sadly I feel I am too ingrained in some of my ways and wouldn't use it to the full extent. I have a similar reaction when I have team members who do their pre-show checklists on their ipads instead of a hard copy, really useful for them and saves resources, but I just can't jump on the bandwagon.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2013, 01:22 pm »
http://www.stage-directions.com/current-issue/28-feature/4999-the-data-crunchers-of-theatre.html/?utm_source=SM&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=smorg&utm_campaign=marchissue

There's an article about SM organizational tools in this month's Stage Directions that talks about the Live Scribe pens!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

riotous