Author Topic: An iphone app specifically for SMs!  (Read 8393 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
An iphone app specifically for SMs!
« on: Jan 29, 2010, 04:52 pm »
My friend pointed me this way:

http://isquint.net/2010/new-iphone-app-for-stage-managers-showtool-sm/

Showtool SM. I don't have an iphone, so I have no idea how it is, but it looks pretty neat (I like the built-in preshow checklist). Somebody should test it and report back.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: An iphone app specifically for SMs!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:37 pm »
Great find, Missliz!

Anyone with an iphone want to volunteer to test this and report back for the good of the network?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:59 pm »
I have an IPod touch, but I will try it it out and see if it works.  Details to follow!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2010, 11:36 pm »
I am playing around with it, and my first impression is that there's room for it to grow before I recommend it. But not really familiar with it yet, and have a couple of questions in to the designer.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

ABennett

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 03:11 pm »
I just downloaded it on my iphone. It seems like a good tool, but that it would be hard for anyone to start using the app as opposed their laptop or simple paper and pencil. It looks like it takes too long to input simple information.

For example, it has a section to track spike marks. It would be useful, but to use it you have to enter Act, scene,  spike color and notes every time. I find it easier just to have a piece of paper specifically for spike marks, and I then type it up later. I would hate to have to hold rehearsal or catch up later just because I couldn't enter the information quickly enough on my iphone.

You also can't send information from your computer to this app, so you would still need your computer and binder to access rehearsal reports, notes, etc. Same problem applies to the props list section, as it would have to be separately typed into the app. However, information can be sent from the app to someone's regular email. I guess that means this could be a useful tool during rehearsal assuming the information can be easily sent to one's computer after each rehearsal or performance.

The checklist section seems useful. I would love to eventually leave my clipboard behind and just use my phone to do a pre-show checklist. One would still have to type all of it up directly to their phone as there is no syncing function.

I like the show timer function. It looks like the regular timer that comes standard with the iphone and ipod touch, but it stores the information directly below the timer. You can label the times with Act, scene, or whatever you need to time. This would make performance reports easier, but not so much that most people would want to change their routines.

I need to use it more to decide if I like it or not. There is definitely some room for improvement. It costs $4.99 on the App Store, so it's a little expensive, but I recommend buying it just to see if it would make anything easier for your specific routine. I'm interested in seeing how people use this app.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:54 pm »
I went to the iTunes store to look at it.  I totally see the points made by ABennett.  If it had syncing ability and you could make your own your categories it might work.  We keep track of a lot more that spike marks and props!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:38 pm »
I went to the iTunes store to look at it.  I totally see the points made by ABennett.  If it had syncing ability and you could make your own your categories it might work.  We keep track of a lot more that spike marks and props!

I mean, it WAS made by a lighting designer.  ;)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BrenCitlalli

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:23 pm »
I was hesistant to download it because I was very unsure as to whether I would be able to use it correctly and efficiently.
I showed it to my directore/teacher and he handed me $5 dollars on the spot to get it, so I could use it during the musical
we are working on.

It seems a bit overcomplicated, but we're really just at the beginning of rehearsals right now,
it hasn't come into much use yet.
But I will keep you updated.  :)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:44 pm »
After using it for a couple of days, I am not that impressed.  It is a good idea, but needs a lot more detail.  It is difficult to input large amounts of data and needs more options for topics (like an option to have cast check in that removes people so you know who you are still missing, a place to input show report data, etc).  Also, the show time, which seemed like a great tool, doesn't have a pause button, so if you are in rehearsal and need to stop the timer, it will stop and reset.  It records the time, but you have to add the numbers together, which gets complicated especially for things like dance.

I think it is a great start to an app, but it needs a lot more work before it can justify the $4.99 price tag.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2011, 03:37 pm »
For anyone that is interested, it appears that the app has been updated, and now has some options that were covered here (the need for a pause button for the show timer, etc).

I will download this today to give it a shot.

Kristine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Theta Alpha Phi
  • Current Gig: Spirits to Enforce, UW-Whitewater
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:32 pm »
Has anyone tried this app recently? Has it improved any?

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:22 am »
I still find it pointless. Though I love lists, to me, it's just a bunch of lists - and - well, pretty useless lists. (IMHO)
I can make lists faster and better with Excel.

riotous