Author Topic: Advice on Sound management please  (Read 2767 times)

ZeroZero

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Advice on Sound management please
« on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:04 am »
I am just about to embark on a major project for the stage. I am writing a musical. The Libretto is written and approved. I am now tackling the music. For this project I am not using a pit orchestra but rather computer based production. I have a well
equipped studio.
I am currently working in Surround sound 5.1 and my studio runs in Win 7 64 bit. I have Cubase 7, and many plugins including Halion 4 and Kontakt 5.

I need to arrange sound fx, clips, and whole songs into some form of cueing system. I have never done this before.

I am seeking some for of Cuing software for sound (perhaps?) and have come across this list:

newbielink:http://www.blue-room.org.uk/wiki/Computer_Based_Playback [nonactive]

However, I am not sure if any of these are suitable given I am working in 5.1

Is there any kind of globally accepted way of doing this?

Is there some kind of text. link etc for advice about organising sound for stage (musicals)?

Bear in mind I am not buying software for a theatre rather trying to think about and organise a whole host of sounds across a couple of hours or more. My knowledge extends only to the composition and use of Cubase.

I was thinking of using either contact or Halion and have the keys fire and clips, but then again, If one wnated to shuffle clips arround (perhaps during rehearsal) there would be real trouble.

Some kind of database?
 Maybe even excel?

As you can see I am a bit lost swith this :)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2013, 04:46 pm by Maribeth »

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Adivce on Sound management please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:36 am »
While there might be one of two who have an idea of what you can do, I think if you want an experienced opinion I would try another resource specifically for theatre sound design. If you PM me I can send you info on a few of them.

Kelasaurus

• Contributor
  • Live, Laugh, Love
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Getting my feet wet in the industry
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Adivce on Sound management please
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:03 pm »
I'm not totally sure that I understand exactly what you are looking for, but I can offer this suggestion:

Have you tried Qlab?  It's a Mac only program, but it's a very easy to learn program and it's quite impeccable at what it does.  There is a free version, but it's only 2 channel. You can rent a license to the full version for about $3 a day, so it's worth it to try.  I did a project in 5.1 in sound class in uni using Qlab, though.

Of interest, you can also run LX, video and other types of cues using Qlab.  I am a fan.

http://figure53.com/qlab/
‎"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Walt Disney