Author Topic: 1/4" Glow dots  (Read 5429 times)

verschleierung

• Tourist
    • View Profile
1/4" Glow dots
« on: Aug 23, 2011, 11:45 am »
I have been using glow dots recently to subtly mark stage edges and other hazards.  I know that many of you do the same but the only method I know of to acquire them is the make them myself with a hole punch.   I find it extremely tedious and time consuming to manufacture and separate the dots and the paper.  I find that dots work better than strips.

I am looking for 1/4" dots on a sheet (like stickers)  Rosebrand and other dance supply companies provide as small as 1" dots but that doesn't really work for our purposes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: 1/4" Glow dots
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2011, 08:48 pm »
Sorry- I've always just hole-punched them. I usually punch a bunch at a time and stick them onto a piece of plastic (like a deli cup lid) so that they are easily accessible and already separated when I need them.

Good luck!

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2011, 09:33 pm »
At the theatre I worked at this summer, we stored our glow tape pieces in empty Altoids containers. It's really nice to have a lid.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011, 01:00 am »
Altoid tin for the win! If I ever need glow tape in bulk, I go the 'toid tin route.

As for making 1/4" dots, hole punching is the only way I know of. I don't think anyone sells them smaller than the 1" monster you've already mentioned.

I don't know how well this would work, but maybe you could try peeling the back off first, and stick that strip of glow tape lightly to a piece of paper. Then you can lift it off the paper when you need it and try to hole punch it that way. I doubt it would work, but it might be worth a try of you're adamant about using dots vs. strips.

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:40 am »
Are you adament about dots because of the shape or the size?  Once when I needed a very large supply of small squares of glow tape I quickly manufactured using one of those large paper cuters with the blade that swings down.  Start by cutting about a 10 inch strip lengthwise into 3 sections and then go back through and cut your squares.  Granted, this still leaves the issue of having to peel off the backing which is super annoying.    I bet if enough people wrote in to manufacturers with the suggestion to produce smaller glow dots, one of them would do it.

MusicTheatreSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Stage management website
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA,
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2011, 03:18 am »
wax paper.
you would still have to punch the dots out yourself, but you could stick them all to wax paper and have the sheet to carry around in your kit/book and such for future shows. 

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2011, 07:40 am »
Do you cover your glow dots/strips with either clear packing tape or clear Marley tape after laying them down? If so, try this: Don't bother peeling off the backing at all. Cut your strips and punch your dots. Then cut clear tape strips larger than the glow tape, and apply them to the front of the glow tape, the way you'd stick them to the floor. Stick the end of each piece to a plastic hanger, about 20-30 per hanger. Two or three hangers later, you'll have enough prepped glow tape dots and strips to begin safety taping, and you won't have peeled the backing off a single one!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

saladressing

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2011, 12:30 pm »
Similar to the wax paper idea, I own a sticker book for glow dots, strips and all sorts of spikes. Also saves time during the bump-in when I can just stick an X or L instead of having to cut and arrange it.

Another thing I used to do was to cut my glow tape roll into 1y x 1/4" strips. Then I would lift up the backing before cutting them into squares. Faster than peeling individual pieces!

riotous