Author Topic: [FAQ] Electronic Prompt Copies  (Read 241581 times)

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Electronic Calling
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2005, 11:59 pm »
Quote from: "StageMgrJon"

On the right is a databse I have written that lets me take notes in show for the report and for actor maintenance notes.  I have programmed buttons on the control for various actor names and departments.  Once I finish a show, I can use the database to automatically generate the show report and eMails with the report and various notes to everyone concerned.

This strikes me as the coolest thing ever.  My handwriting is illegible (sometimes even for me) so i try to type whatever possible, and would love  to see an example of how you do this.  What kind of software are you using?  Is the show report/notes database something that can be done with basic microsoft office?    
Would i need fancy software to view an example?  

(i gladly give credit where due, my contact sheets still - four years of use later - have a little TM credit to MWShiner industries in the footer.)

erin
-enelson@obscure.org
erin@scr.org

Adam807

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Creating a prompt book in word...using comments for cues
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2005, 11:30 am »
I'm a pretty big tech-head, but I find doing a calling script on the computer to be overly time-consuming.  The one time I did it was for a show that has had a couple of productions, with minor tweaks each time, so it's great to be able to just make slight adjustments to the old script, and have a backup for the future.  But mostly I use pencil and a template just for speed.

When I do use the Word method, I think I've streamlined the process pretty well.  The latest version of Word for Mac has a something called the Scrapbook, in which I've put all my pre-formatted callouts and text boxes, and I can just drag them into the script.  Still takes for freaking ever.

Anyone who does this more often have good speed tips, or a faster method?  'Cause I will say this: The end result looks damn good:

newbielink:http://home.earthlink.net/~hljsm/images/callscript.tiff [nonactive]

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Creating a prompt book in word...using comments for cues
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:44 pm »
I have never used a computer to call from - namely because I have never had scripts already computerised and dont usually have the time to type it up and experiment, but I am thinking about it for my next show.

I cary my laptop with me everywhere anyway, it is more a matter of actually working out my own system - I have all the programs, I have just not made my own method yet.

The way things are these days, I carry arround half an office with me. At uni, when I am sming a show there, I can be walking arround campus and an actor will approach me and start talking show - out with the prompt copy, note book and a pen. Then I leave to go and do some pro work. Walk in the door "I did not get a copy of xxxxx" or "I left notes yyyy at home" out with the laptop, into the car to grab the printer. Print it off. I need a cart that follows me arround with my laptop, all of my prompt books, note pads, paper, pens, pencils, staplers the lot... or a personal assistant to carry them all for me. Then there are the times when I am shopping and I run into the local amdram 'star' or director. My trolley turns into a virtual office.... grr. I wish, just once, that people listened to me when I say at the start of rehearsal period "I make myself available half an hour before first call, until half an hour after the last call, and any gaps in between, feel free to see me then. If that is not convienient, call me or email me and we will arrange a time that suits you". Serves me right for burning the candle at both ends and the middle. I suppose that is why I am loath to have a computerised copy - it would waste even more time booting up the computer every time I am stopped by a member of one of my shows outside of hours (on average, 3 to 4 times a day)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Response for Adam
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:27 am »
I do in it Microsoft Word.

I use Callouts and drag it from the word to the margin.

All it all it takes about 15-30 seconds per cue.  I usually can book all the cues I did in four or five hours in that 30 minutes between calling actors for tech and we are ready to go.

You get fast at it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a prompt book in word...using comments for cues
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2006, 10:08 pm »
I tried to find Callout in Word and couldn't find it. What is callout?

Fireguy: I tried to do what you were doing but it didn't work. I protected the document but then it either made it a comment which put a date and the work COMMENT in the box OR it just highlighted it in the text. Is there something that I'm missing.

The only way that I can do cues in word is text boxes. They work really well but it is a complicated procedure. It takes awhile.

You need to have document reviewing turned on, or you can protect the document.  See word help for how to do this.

As for removing the irritating COMMENT text from the comment bubbles, it's a bit more complicated:

• On the Format menu, click Styles and Formatting.
  • Under Pick a formatting to apply, right-click the Balloon Text entry, and then click Modify.
  • If the Balloon Text style isn't visible, display it:
  • In the Show box, click Custom.
  • In the Format Settings dialog box, under Styles to be visible, select the Balloon Text check box, and then click OK.
  • Click the Balloon Text arrow, then in the Modify Style dialog box, select Format -> Font
  • Finally, click the Hidden check box and OK.

Page view will still show the Comment text, but when Page Previewed or Printed, it will disappear.
Cheers,
Jem.

swood09

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2006, 10:13 pm »
I am running under the assumption that all of these things are being done to a script that you re-typed yourself. Does anyone know if there is a way around that? Isn't there a way to scan a script or something?

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:58 pm »
To get a digital copy of scripts, I usually just run the script pages through OCR software.

However, frequently I've been teching a lot of Shakespeare.  Project Gutenberg is always a good place to go to get a quick and dirty version of a script that you can format to your liking.
Cheers,
Jem.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:29 pm »
I am running under the assumption that all of these things are being done to a script that you re-typed yourself. Does anyone know if there is a way around that? Isn't there a way to scan a script or something?

The theatre I am currently working for provides me with an electronic version of the script when I arrive for pre-production.  The production interns scan the script using OCR software and then go through and edit for the inevitable typos associated with scanning in a document.  I make margin and other adjustments for my blocking and prompt scripts. 

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:16 pm »
A sample page from a prompt copy.
This is in progress, and currently only shows LX cues.
Enjoy  ;D
Cheers,
Jem.

sailor_sam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2007, 11:26 pm »
Would anyone recomend a OCR program that they or their company have/has use/d. 

any pros or cons from the OCR program?

thanks.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:20 am »
A sample page from a prompt copy.
This is in progress, and currently only shows LX cues.
Enjoy  ;D

Hey Jempage- do you do this in Acrobat or do you just upload it that way? Do you have a Word version I could play around with?

Thanks!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:13 pm »
Sailor Sam: if you have Office installed, one of the optional components is Document imaging - i find that this is pretty good for OCR, and you can export straight to Word, which is handy.

MarcieA: No - its a print to a PDF creator.  I find that calling the show from a PDF copy is a little more reliable than using word. Here's a sample in word - due to copyright i can't release more than 2 pages.

Cheers,
Jem.
Cheers,
Jem.

ashadeofbrown

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:49 pm »
I used the COMMENTS option for a Cinderella script, and it worked awesomely. the only problem may be the margins on the side, especially if you type out your cue sheets horizontal; it uses up a lot of space. Editing the comments can be a slight pain if you're not used to Word.
Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:11 pm »
I prefer using callout boxes to the comments feature of Word.  They're very easy to edit, and I can position the cue exactly where I want it on my script.  I use text boxes for standbys and for comments (i.e. when John Xes left). 

When working on my last show which was a musical, I integrated the score into the script by scanning in sections of the score as a .pdf file (the theatre I work for has this awesome copy machine that you can just feed a document through and it will convert it to .pdf and email it to you) and then copying the sections of the score into Word using the snapshot tool in Adobe.  The callout boxes can then be placed on the score (as can the text boxes when necessary).  I was quite happy with the way my script turned out for that show. 

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:27 pm »
Just another question...

Am currently trying the comment/ reviewing way on MS Word way which is working really well BUT the does anyone know how to change the colour of the comment box so I can use different colors for Standbys and Gos?!

Thanks,

Sam x
Sam x