I have to agree that using electronic scripts works beautifully. I have worked out a system for myself that I use all the time.
I tried the word option for blocking, but I was concerned that with a simple failure of a Microsoft product, I could lose blocking (even backups don't work every few minutes). I still use a paper script for blocking rehearsals.
However, I call my shows from a computer screen, in the following manner:
1. I make a PDF of the electronic script as I go into a paper tech (dry tech) and use comments to place cues. This was an electronic version of my old method of placing Post-It Arrows in a paper script.
2. I use a page layout program (Adobe InDesign) to create a clean call script in full color. This way I can paste in pages of scanned music as well, so that the script can flip back and forth from text to music as needed (obviously in musicals).
3. I then export the script (after tech) to another PDF which I use to call the show. This also affords me an opportunity to send my call script to the lighting and sound designers at the end of each Tech day so that they can make Q notes and know exactly what I have at the time.
4. In show run, I actually call from a computer screen. I have a printed copy of the call script in case of computer failure as well. The method I use continues to evolve, but currently I do the following: I use a Mac and have a control device that is generally used for video editing. I have a flat panel monitor that is on a desk arm (like a work light), and I split the screen with two things. On the left is the PDF of the call script, which I can use the wheel on to scroll through as I call. On the right is a databse I have written that lets me take notes in show for the report and for actor maintenance notes. I have programmed buttons on the control for various actor names and departments. Once I finish a show, I can use the database to automatically generate the show report and eMails with the report and various notes to everyone concerned.
I created the system to save time for myself, and money for the theatre. Not using paper and post-its, as well as multiple copies of the script, saves my employer about $150-$200 per tech (the savings is in supplies and overtime, I averaged it from 6 shows over a 1.5 year period).
I don't know that this system would work for everone, but it certainly works for me. It also keeps my re-typing of notes into paperwork formats at a minimum of work time, allowing me to end my days on a shorter note.
If anyone wants more info on my convoluted system, let me know. I'm happy to share.