Author Topic: "Mylar" tape removal?  (Read 4812 times)

danger

• Tourist
    • View Profile
"Mylar" tape removal?
« on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:43 pm »
Hey there guys,
  I work for a childrens theatre company that has almost no downtime for cleanup.  For rehearsals for our  previous show, we spiked the rehearsal room and covered the spike tape with mylar (or vinyl) tape so the spikes wouldn't come up with the multitudes of dancing children. Mission accomplished, however after pulling up the mylar tape, a sticky residue was left behind .  The floor is a Wood Laminate that was put in a couple years ago and the residue has not come off with traditional cleaners (409, mop solution, etc).  I saw the previous thread, "keeping spike tape down" ( newbielink:http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,2094.0.html [nonactive]), but I didn't see anything on mylar tape removal.  Any suggestions?  We have a cleanup day on sat, so any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: "Mylar" tape removal?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:56 pm »
Have you tried something like goo gone?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

wtcsrstaph4life

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:17 pm »
though it may seem counterintuitive you may want to try sticking down more mylar tape and then taking it up (like leaving it for only a few seconds) that sometimes works.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:41 pm »
It's a certainly more toxic smelling than goo gone, and I wouldn't try it if there isn't good ventilation, but I find that Goof Off (and sometimes just good old WD-40) are stronger than Goo Gone at getting off the really sticky messes.

jmc

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2008, 12:40 am »
Try 'orange Oil' most sparkies use to remove residual sticky gunk, left on cables, lanterns & equipment.
it comes in various forms, but the aerosol packs is the easiest to use.
All good electrical wholesalers & suppliers have it, if you can't find it at your local supermarket.
It is has a great fragrence, it is made from the rid of the organge. It also repels little pests, especialy termites, as it has Limonene in it naturaly.
When techies use electrical, duct & even gaffer tape on cables & lamps, rather than cable ties or 'thwakers'. They leave residual adhesive on the outer casing of the cables & always seem to forget to whipe it off.
It works on 'Tarquette' & dance mats, takes just a quick spray or wipe over to remove the left overs gunk.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2008, 02:53 am by jmc »
Tio Tio Chookas
{May you always play to a full house}
'Hear the light & see the sound'

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2008, 03:49 am »
I've used Goo Gone, and a putty scraper, for this.  It's less harsh than Goof Off.  Test it first though, because it might take off the varnish.  If it does, then go for the orange oil, but it might take more work.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2008, 04:40 am »
Depending how much residue you have (if it is a lot, this may not work) a bit of rubbing alcohol on a scrub pad (like the green plastic one you would use for dishes) might work. 

***test it on a small corner of the floor first to make sure it won't remove the finish before you try it right in the center***
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church