Author Topic: To join or not to join  (Read 4086 times)

butch

• New to Town
    • View Profile
To join or not to join
« on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:37 pm »
I'm currently a junior theatre student with dreams of Equity SM in the future, and right now I am having problems getting some questions answered. While in school, I have been doing A LOT of casual work with the local IA and recently had the paperwork for membership slid my way. When the obvious question of "How will this affect my possibilities of Stage Managing and AEA in the future?" came up, I never really got a straight answer. So I guess I'm asking:

Is it possible to do both? And if so, what are my protections when stage managing, say for instance from "stage hand" responsibilites.

If it's possible would it be an overall good idea?

My goal is to stage manage, but I really enjoy doing the IA work as well, and am also interested in being a sound engineer possibly. So I am really confused, and need a better understanding before I sign off on anything. (And especially before I give them $100 to find out that I shouldn't be in there)

Thanks

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
IA /AEA
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:25 pm »
You can be a member of both.  For any given job you will be on a contract with a specific union for a specific job so you play by those rules.

The biggest problems is that a lot of stage managers tell jokes about IA guys, which will in the end possibly have you making fun of yourself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
To join or not to join
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2006, 09:10 pm »
I think the correct abbreviation for that last remark Matthew, is
LOL!!!
Ordo ab chao

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
To join or not to join
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2006, 04:34 pm »
That seems like a great opportunity, knowing both sets of rules and bridging what can sometimes be a gap between union crews and union SMs.

riotous