Author Topic: Treating all actors as AEA in a showcase?  (Read 10226 times)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Treating all actors as AEA in a showcase?
« on: Aug 30, 2009, 07:49 pm »
Hi All--

So I'm doing a NYMF AEA Showcase where only 3 of 13 actors are AEA. So of course we've tailored all scheduling/breaks/meals/etc to the showcase code we're operating under.

However, my director is under the impression that the other 10 actors can be called for longer hours, with less notice, less rest time, etc...etc...etc and is essentially treating the AEA actors like the "exception" rather than the rule.

I'm gently nudging the director in the direction of treating everyone equally and not trying to resist the code's guidelines--if not only to avoid the potential hazardous scheduling that would arise, but to try and treat everyone's time with respect and professionalism.

While I do understand only 3 actors will sign the signature page with Equity on first rehearsal I feel it's unprofessional and sure to start a riff among the cast if we start treating the groups so differently. (It doesn't help that the leads are the AEA members..)

How do you feel on this issue? It's so murky to me...
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Treating all actors as AEA in a showcase?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:34 pm »
I personally think it would make life easier to treat everyone by the same professional standard. Across the board. For a multitude of reasons, including those you listed.

Period.

Those are my thoughts.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

cue_light

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2009, 11:21 pm »
I'm a huge advocate of observing equity guidelines even when there are no equity members in the company. While I know that not every company can afford to pay equity scale, there is absolutely NO reason that people should need union representation to be treated fairly and professionally.

I can't express how much it bothers me when I hear the phrase, "Well, they aren't equity, so it doesn't matter..."

Kristi

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2009, 11:37 pm »
I just worked on a show with a very small cast of only 4 people. Only 1 of the 4 was AEA (performing under the Equity Guest Artist Agreement).
A similar situation arose where the director was trying to schedule more rehearsal time with less notice for the non-equity cast members.

Eventually, this carried over into the director wanting to do several 10 out of 12 days during tech that were not allowed by the contract the guest artist was under. Ultimately, the Equity Guest Artist went to the producer standing up for the entire cast. The producer made the director cancel rehearsals that caused unreasonably long days.

Perhaps this was a unique situation, but in my case it didn't start a riff but in the end brought the cast closer together. The Equity member I worked with helped protect the non-equity cast, and the non-equity cast had huge respect for her for what she did.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2009, 11:48 pm »
Are you yourself AEA, NomieRae? I can't recall...

Ultimately, the non-AEA actors don't have any protection.  That's what being non-AEA means.  The only power they have is to say no to the job.  If you yourself aren't union, then the producer has every right to get as much work out of each of you as each of you is willing to put up with.  I've seen it before, the intern company works an hour on the choreography of the final dance, after the rest of us have gone home for the night.  Creating the two-tier system really ruins any chance at ensemble play, and is a real morale-buster, [unless the AEA actors are extremely protective of the ensemble, like Kristi's example above] but short of leaving the job, there's nothing you can do to keep non-union actors from getting exploited.  What I would do in your shoes is to be as up front as possible with each of the non-union performers, in terms of the director's ideas of rehearsal, so that the people who don't want to put up with it just walk away from the job in plenty of time to get replacements cast.

If you yourself are union, then be very clear with the director that any rehearsal done with non-union actors will also be done without stage management.  Leave it up to the director to do the scheduling, reserve the rehearsal space, clear the rehearsal space, set up whatever props the non-union actors need, and clean up when they're done.  The ten-minute breaks you'll just have to ignore, but I would also ignore when one of the non-union actors then runs out of the rehearsal to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water.  Now that I've typed that advice, I see that it sounds a little passive-aggressive, but I think it's just a matter of being very clear about the protections union status offers you, given that the director wants to push the envelope and would rather work without any of the rules and is probably assuming that an SM will work harder than anyone else and just get exploited along with the non-union cast.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:56 am »
are any of your actors members of any of the other 4As? If so, I believe they may be entitled to AEA's protection

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2009, 01:01 pm »
Unfortunately, this sounds like a recipe for disaster...
I would do everything in my power to continue to steer the director towards using the AEA guidelines.
Chances are, the non-equity members of your cast are simply future members of AEA.
Stress the humane aspect of the guidelines and the morale boost the company will get from treating everyone equally.

That being said, I agree with Heath that the producer has every right to schedule as he wants.
IF the actors don't walk and IF the venue is available and IF the producer agrees...

Keep us posted.
Ordo ab chao

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2009, 10:03 am »
What's the point of joining a union and paying dues if non-union people get the same benefits?

Hard work now will make them appreciate their AEA card later, won't it?

I mean, are they being abused?  Or just working more?
"This time for sure."

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2009, 10:20 am »
What's the point of joining a union and paying dues if non-union people get the same benefits?

In a theoretical sense you are absolutely right. 

In practice it's not quite so academic.  Treating people differently will create a feeling of the "haves" and the "have-nots" within the company.  Once there is that division, kiss unity goodbye. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2009, 11:58 am »
I do a lot of shows with a mix of AEA and non-AEA actors. The first time I did it, I asked the director how she felt about it, and she said the point was to strive for professionalism. That is, treat everyone with the same respect of their time, work, etc. Basically, I run the rehearsals as close to solid AEA rules as possible for all members, but the non-AEA members know that they might have to go "above and beyond the call of duty" from time to time- helping with moving the set, coming in a little early to work something before call, etc. I think as long as you make it clear that you are respectful of EVERYONE, regardless of status, but that non-union people might have to make concessions, it's fine and doesn't separate the haves from the have-nots, so to speak.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2009, 02:14 pm »

This is a really good question, and it makes me consider my own perspectives.  I think things like doing scene changes, or taking one-line roles in Shakespeare that aren't cast until the first read-through (if even then), or even sweeping the stage in the absence of pa/asm, are things that could be "expected" of non-union cast.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  I'd love to hear the discussion.

It seems to me that it's making a clear distinction between the two groups; "AEA actors are released, non-union cast we'll be here until midnight rehearsing the opening number" is the thing that really harms ensemble building, in my experience.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2009, 03:04 pm »
One company I worked w/ that used the AEA Guest Artist Contract(s) actually had the AEA performers come early (4pm call) while the non-AEA cast was called at 7pm (after their day jobs).  The AEA performers could be rehearsed 8 hours in a day.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2009, 10:07 pm »
I ditto a lot of what people have already sad.

You don't need to treat AEA and Non-AEA the same and still show respect to all actors.

It's about finding the balance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

realitycheck

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:36 pm »
when i work showcase..not often. i always make it a rule to treat everyone as though they are AEA. it is respectuful. but ...be clear. AEA members ..in whatever way...earned their membership and do have the privledges...
however....no AEA SM should be working beyond the hours prescribed. and FYI those hours include set up and strike and producers need to understand that,.

riotous