Author Topic: Theatres that are thriving  (Read 3525 times)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Theatres that are thriving
« on: Sep 28, 2009, 12:39 pm »
Thought I'd start a topic about theatres that are doing well and succeeding through tough times.  

Below is an exerpt from a Wall Street Journal article (it's a lengthy article, Steppenwolf is about three fifths of the way down) highlighting some of the top small workplaces in the country for 2009.

STEPPENWOLF THEATRE COMPANY
BUSINESS: Nonprofit professional theater
BASED: Chicago
FOUNDED: 1975
EMPLOYEES: 151 full-time equivalents (77 full-time, 340 part-time)
2008 REVENUE: $15.5 million

Professional theaters aren't known as stellar workplaces. People come and go, hours are long, and pay and benefits are meager. Steppenwolf Theatre Company, on the contrary, gives its employee practices a lead role.

The Chicago theater, artistically led by an ensemble of 42 members including co-founder Gary Sinese and John Malkovich, puts unusual emphasis on creating a healthy work environment and satisfying both its full-time and part-time employees. At many theaters, says Executive Director David Hawkanson, the actors and other personnel actively involved in running shows have a louder voice in the workplace, largely because they're represented by outside unions. Nonunion workers can feel shafted.

When Mr. Hawkanson arrived at the theater five years ago, morale was very low and some nonunionized employees were trying to organize. The union vote failed, but Mr. Hawkanson realized changes needed to be made. He works hard to give equal voice to all employees, unionized or not, and provide comparable benefits. One employee from each department of the theater sits on Steppenwolf's 12-member employee-relations committee, which meets quarterly with management to discuss workplace practices and benefits. Notes of the meetings are shared with all employees on the theater's intranet.

Under Mr. Hawkanson's direction, Steppenwolf also greatly stepped up its benefits: In 2005, it began offering a 401(k) plan that matches dollar for dollar full-time and part-time employees' 401(k) contributions up to 4% of pay. Many theaters don't offer a 401(k) match at all—and especially not to part-timers. The company also covers 90% of employees' health-insurance premiums and is soon rolling out a low-cost group health plan for its many part-timers that will cost them about $60 a month.

Master properties artisan Charles Moser , 40, says Steppenwolf's workplace morale and benefits have improved "dramatically" since he started working there in 2001. "It just tells me that they value the people now over clear-cut economics," he says.

Steppenwolf also shines for its professional development of young and aspiring theater administrators and technical production workers. It takes on about 36 interns and apprentices annually and offers highly regarded fellowship programs for aspiring African-American arts administrators. The theater works to give its younger staff and interns exposure to all aspects of theater work. For instance, one theater management apprentice was asked this year to revamp the theater's volunteer program.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Theatres that are thriving
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2009, 10:31 pm »
Thank you for posting this!  It is encouraging to know that parts of the industry are doing well, and not just at the expense of their staff!  :)
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

riotous