Author Topic: TDF Membership  (Read 7482 times)

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
TDF Membership
« on: Sep 17, 2009, 12:44 pm »
Hello all-

Is anyone a TDF member? Would you suggest becoming a member?

They are discounting memberships a bit and it made me consider whether it would be a good thing to join.  It doesn't seem to expensive, only $25 a year. 

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: TDF Membership
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2009, 01:21 pm »
What is TDF???

May want to clarify.  I imagine a lot of folks, like myself, haven't a clue! :-)

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2009, 01:49 pm »
What is TDF???

May want to clarify.  I imagine a lot of folks, like myself, haven't a clue! :-)

TDF NYC is the Theater Development Fund. They do lots of arts funding in NYC, with a big focus on making theater accessible and affordable for everyone.

To the OP, I saw the discounted membership recently as well, and have been thinking about it. I think for me it's going to come down to how many plays I will realistically see this year, and if that makes the membership worth it. But it IS a really good deal...
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2009, 03:01 pm »
This is the article I saw from Stage Directions:

TDF Offers Discount on New Memberships      
Written by Jacob Coakley
Sep 10, 2009

NEW YORK—In celebration of the new theatre season and the fact that September has been named “Back2Broadway Month” by The Broadway League, TDF is offering a special discount for new TDF members. Any eligible theatre lovers who join TDF from now through September 30 will receive $5 off their first year’s annual fee.  Usually the annual fee to join TDF member is $30, but that fee will be reduced to $25 for the remainder of the month.

TDF members enjoy access to hundreds of Broadway, Off Broadway, music and dance productions each year for only $20 to $37 a ticket. More than 80,000 individuals who have increased their attendance to the performing arts with the affordable tickets made available to them as TDF members.

To be eligible to join TDF, you must belong to one of the following groups: full-time students, full-time teachers, union members, retirees, civil service employees, staff members of not-for-profit organizations, performing arts professionals, members of the armed forces or clergy.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2009, 09:32 pm »
I'm actually just about to renew my TDF membership.  I do use it enough to make it worth-my-while.  There are always shows that are popular that I want to see that aren't listed, but I've been able to see a lot of shows for quite inexpensive via TDF.  One show I saw on B'way paid for the membership itself when 3 TDF tickets were cheaper than 1 regular ticket. 

Plus...they are usually more discounted than at the TKTS booth and you don't have to worry about the hassle of standing in line.

CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:53 am »
I am assuming that you have to be a Union member to join?
Or was this mistakenly posted here on the Hardline?
Ordo ab chao

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2009, 03:11 pm »
I had a membership last year and I thought it was well worth the $27.50 that I spent. I saw a number of shows for less than $50, so the money I spent on the membership was far less than what I spent.

I didn't renew this year b/c I'm going on tour in January and also b/c my friend gets a lot of comps for b'way and off b'way through her job, so I thought it wasn't necessary. I have enough friends with memberships that if I felt the need I could buy through them for one or two shows.

Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2009, 08:02 pm »
I am assuming that you have to be a Union member to join?
Or was this mistakenly posted here on the Hardline?

From the TDF Web site:
To qualify for TDF membership, you must belong to one of the following groups: full-time students, full-time teachers, union members, retirees, civil service employees, staff members of not-for-profit organizations, performing arts professionals, members of the armed forces or clergy. When you join, you will be asked to supply TDF with proof of your eligibility.